- Cigna Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- International Plans
- Offered Cigna Through Work?
- Find a Doctor
- Informed on Reform
- Health and Wellness »
- Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy
Questions About Joint Surgery
There are many different types of joint surgery. The following questions will help you evaluate which surgery may be right for you.
- Ask your doctor if surgery will relieve pain, improve range of motion, and allow you to resume daily activities.
- What do you want from this surgery? Less pain? Better movement? Improved appearance of the joint? What are the chances that this surgery will bring about that outcome?
- What are the chances of achieving your desired outcome with a different kind of surgery?
- How often is another surgery needed because the first surgery didn't work?
- What kinds of things can go wrong with this surgery? How often do these problems occur?
- How long will the results of this procedure last? How long will this type of joint replacement last before another surgery may be needed? What type of surgery might be needed if this surgery fails?
|Primary Medical Reviewer||Anne C. Poinier, MD - Internal Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Nancy Ann Shadick, MD, MPH - Internal Medicine, Rheumatology|
|Last Revised||June 5, 2012|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: June 5, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Anne C. Poinier, MD - Internal Medicine|
Nancy Ann Shadick, MD, MPH - Internal Medicine, Rheumatology
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.