- Cigna Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- International Plans
- Offered Cigna Through Work?
- Find a Doctor
- Informed on Reform
- Health and Wellness »
- Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy
Massage can help relax your tense muscles and relieve pain.
There are a number of products on the market that can help you massage your own back muscles. Or you can give yourself a back massage using a tennis ball.
- First take a hot bath or shower to relax. Do a few easy stretching exercises.
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor.
- Put the tennis ball under your lower back.
- Take a deep breath, and then relax into the ball as much as you can. Hold for a few seconds, and then lift yourself and move the ball to another area.
You can also do this massage with two tennis balls stuffed into a sock. Lie on the tennis balls with one ball on each side of your spine.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Joan Rigg, PT, OCS - Physical Therapy|
|Last Revised||February 15, 2012|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: February 15, 2012|
|Medical Review:||William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine|
Joan Rigg, PT, OCS - Physical Therapy
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.