- Cigna Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- International Plans
- Offered Cigna Through Work?
- Find a Doctor
- Informed on Reform
- Health and Wellness »
- Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy
Sickle Cell Disease: Home Treatment for Priapism
Home treatment for sickle cell disease includes steps you can take to control some of the complications caused by the disease. Develop a plan with your doctor for home treatment of symptoms, and follow this plan as symptoms occur.
- Urinate often to avoid feeling the need to urinate. Don't wait until you feel the need.
- Take medicine to relieve pain.
- Drink extra fluids.
- Seek emergency treatment, if the pain is especially severe or the problem doesn't go away in 2 to 3 hours. Treatment may include fluids (hydration), pain medicines, and blood transfusions.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Martin Steinberg, MD - Hematology|
|Last Revised||October 1, 2012|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: October 1, 2012|
|Medical Review:||E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine|
Martin Steinberg, MD - Hematology
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.