- Cigna Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- International Plans
- Offered Cigna Through Work?
- Find a Doctor
- Informed on Reform
- Health and Wellness »
- Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy
Stroke: Memory Tips
A stroke often causes memory problems. If your family member has problems with memory:
- Set a daily routine, if possible.
- Warn the person about upcoming changes in routine. Someone who has had a stroke may be very sensitive to minor changes in the daily activities.
- Give short instructions. People with memory problems can remember only small amounts of information at a time (short retention span).
- Give the person only one step to do at a time, and allow him or her to finish one step before going on to the next. Recall his or her progress so past successes are highlighted.
- When teaching a skill, try to do it in an environment where that skill will be used. People with memory problems usually have trouble applying what has been learned in one setting to other settings.
- Talk with your doctor to see if a medicine might help treat the memory problem.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Karin M. Lindholm, DO - Neurology|
|Last Revised||January 3, 2013|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: January 3, 2013|
|Medical Review:||E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine|
Karin M. Lindholm, DO - Neurology
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.