- Cigna Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- International Plans
- Offered Cigna Through Work?
- Find a Doctor
- Informed on Reform
- Health and Wellness »
- Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy
Treating a Black or Coated Tongue
Home treatment may be all that is needed for a black or coated tongue.
- Brush your tongue daily with a soft-bristled toothbrush and toothpaste or a solution of 1 part hydrogen peroxide to 2 parts water.
- Scrape the tongue with an upside-down teaspoon to remove the "furry" coating on the tongue.
- Do not use tobacco products.
Bismuth products, such as Pepto-Bismol, can turn your tongue black. The black appearance will go away after you stop taking the medicine.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||David Messenger, MD|
|Last Revised||July 20, 2012|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: July 20, 2012|
|Medical Review:||William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine|
David Messenger, MD
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.