- Cigna Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- International Plans
- Offered Cigna Through Work?
- Find a Doctor
- Informed on Reform
- Health and Wellness »
- Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy
Treating a Severe Allergic Reaction
If you have symptoms of a severe allergic reaction, call 911 or other emergency services immediately.
- If your doctor has prescribed an
allergy kit, use the kit if:
- Your symptoms are severe.
- You have a kit immediately available.
- You have been taught how and when to use the kit.
- You have had a severe reaction in the past from the same type of sting, bite, food, or medicine (allergens), and similar symptoms are developing.
- Take an antihistamine, such as Benadryl or Chlor-Trimeton, to help reduce your symptoms. Read and follow any warnings on the label.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||H. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency Medicine|
|Last Revised||April 29, 2011|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: April 29, 2011|
|Medical Review:||William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine|
H. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency Medicine
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.