- Cigna Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- International Plans
- Offered Cigna Through Work?
- Find a Doctor
- Informed on Reform
- Health and Wellness »
- Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy
Treating Weak or Brittle Nails
Home treatment may help repair weak, brittle, or splitting nails:
- Wear disposable plastic gloves or rubber gloves with cotton liners to protect your hands from water or chemicals.
- Apply moisturizing lotion directly to your nail.
- Apply a moisturizer at bedtime and cover with a white cotton glove or sock.
- Apply nail polish to slow the evaporation of water from your nail. Do not remove and reapply it more than once a week. Nail polish remover may increase splitting and breaking if used too often.
- Do not use nail lacquers, polishes, or adhesives if you think your nail problem could be caused by one of these substances.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||H. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency Medicine|
|Last Revised||October 7, 2012|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: October 7, 2012|
|Medical Review:||William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine|
H. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency Medicine
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.