- Cigna Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- International Plans
- Offered Cigna Through Work?
- Find a Doctor
- Informed on Reform
- Health and Wellness »
- Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy
Types of Human Papillomaviruses (HPVs)
- HPV types 6 and 11 cause the most visible genital warts. They are spread easily from person to person. However, they are rarely associated with the development of cervical cancer in women.
- HPV types 16, 18, 31, 33, and 35 are strongly associated with abnormal cells on the cervix and cancer of the cervix. Nearly all cervical cancer tumors contain one of these types, which are sometimes called high-risk types. But many women may be infected with high-risk types of HPV but never develop precancerous changes or cancer.
DNA testing can identify whether high-risk types are present.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||Sarah Marshall, MD - Family Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Kirtly Jones, MD - Obstetrics and Gynecology|
|Last Revised||June 21, 2012|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: June 21, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Sarah Marshall, MD - Family Medicine|
Kirtly Jones, MD - Obstetrics and Gynecology
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.