- Cigna Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- International Plans
- Offered Cigna Through Work?
- Find a Doctor
- Informed on Reform
- Health and Wellness »
- Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy
Using Eye Ointment
Insert eye ointment (if prescribed) as follows:
- For older children and adults, pull the lower eyelid down with one or two fingers to create a pouch. Put the ointment in the pouch. Close the eye for 30 to 60 seconds to let the ointment absorb.
- For younger children, ask the child to lie down with eyes closed. Pull the lower eyelid out to create a pouch. Put the ointment in the pouch. With the eyes closed, ask the child to move his or her eyeball from side to side to move the ointment around the eye.
Take the following safety precautions when using eye ointment:
- Wear disposable medical gloves when you insert an eye ointment into someone else's eyes. If gloves are not available, wash your hands thoroughly before and after inserting the ointment. Even if you wore gloves, wash your hands after inserting ointment.
- Be sure the tube tip is clean and does not touch the eye, eyelid, or any surface.
- If the tube tip touches the eye or the area around the eye, call your pharmacy and arrange to get another tube of eye ointment.
The method for inserting eye ointment is slightly different than for inserting eyedrops.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||H. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency Medicine|
|Last Revised||November 2, 2011|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: November 2, 2011|
|Medical Review:||William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine|
H. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency Medicine
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.