- Cigna Medicare
- Individual & Family Plans
- International Plans
- Offered Cigna Through Work?
- Find a Doctor
- Informed on Reform
- Health and Wellness »
- Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy
Wrist Splint for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
A wrist splint is a brace that looks like a fingerless glove. It stabilizes your wrist in a straight and sometimes slightly bent-back position. Wearing a wrist splint minimizes pressure on the median nerve and allows you a period of "relative rest" from movements that make carpal tunnel syndrome worse.
Think about these guidelines when you use a wrist splint:
- When worn to stabilize the wrist during sleep, a wrist splint can reduce pain and pressure on the median nerve.
- A wrist splint isn't a substitute for good workplace design and proper body mechanics. Some experts advise against wearing a wrist splint while working, because doing so can strain the hand's tendons.
- A wrist splint is a helpful short-term treatment for carpal tunnel syndrome. But long-term use can cause your muscles to weaken. During and after a period of splint use, exercise and slowly increase your hand and wrist movements. This will help prevent your wrist muscles from weakening.
Splints are available in drugstores without a prescription. They are also available by prescription from orthopedic and medical supply stores. Physical and occupational therapists can make custom-fit splints from lightweight materials that may be more comfortable to wear.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: Should I Have Surgery?
- Office Ergonomics
- Wrist Care: Preventing Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
|Primary Medical Reviewer||Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Herbert von Schroeder, MD, MSc, FRCSC - Hand and Microvascular Surgery|
|Last Revised||October 2, 2012|
|By:||Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: October 2, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine|
Herbert von Schroeder, MD, MSc, FRCSC - Hand and Microvascular Surgery
© 1995-, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.