Other Conditions With Symptoms Similar to Menopause Symptoms
Other conditions that can cause symptoms similar to
menopause symptoms include:
- Conditions that lead to an absence of the
menstrual periods (amenorrhea), such as pregnancy,
severe weight loss or gain, or excessive exercise.
changes, such as stress, anxiety, or
- Problems with other hormones,
which can result from problems with the
thyroid gland (underactive or overactive), problems
pituitary gland, or
polycystic ovary syndrome.
- Problems that
can cause irregular bleeding. These include:
- Irregular ovulation unrelated to an
age-related drop in fertility.
- Uterine fibroids, which are noncancerous growths in the
polyps, which are another type of noncancerous growths
in the uterus.
- Endometrial hyperplasia, which is
abnormal thickening of the lining of the uterus that can lead to uterine cancer
if not treated.
- Endometrial cancer, also known as
- Cervical cancer.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||Anne C. Poinier, MD - Internal Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Carla J. Herman, MD, MPH - Geriatric Medicine|
|Last Revised||April 26, 2012|