Preventing Infection After Contact With Poison Ivy, Oak, or Sumac
To prevent infection of a
poison ivy, oak, or sumac rash:
- Try not to scratch the rash. Put mittens or
cotton socks on infants' hands to help prevent them from scratching skin and
- Cut fingernails short to minimize the possibility
of opening the skin and spreading bacteria.
- Use a mild soap to
clean the skin.
- Cover large areas of open blisters with a bandage or other wound dressing.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||H. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency Medicine|
|Last Revised||August 30, 2011|