Sleeping Positions That Protect Your Back
Sleeping on your back
Sleeping on your side
General guidelines for sleeping:
- Sleep so that your back is in a neutral position.
The neutral position keeps the back in its natural three front-to-back curves
that give the spine an "S" shape.
- Use a rolled towel to support
your lower back or place a pillow under your knees when sleeping on your
- Place a pillow between your knees when sleeping on your
To rise from bed:
- Roll onto your side and bend both
- Drop your feet over the side of the bed as you push with
both arms to sit up.
- Slide to the edge of the bed and position your
feet under your buttocks.
- Stand up, keeping your back in the
|Primary Medical Reviewer||William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Robert B. Keller, MD - Orthopedics|
|Last Revised||March 12, 2012|