Symptoms of a Sinus Infection
A stuffy nose may occur after a nose injury and may block the
drainage of a
sinus. As the fluid builds up, pressure on the sinus
increases, causing pain. The blocked sinus may lead to a sinus
Symptoms of a sinus infection include:
- Moderate to severe sinus pain that gets worse
when you strain, cough, or bend over.
around the eyes.
- Thick yellow or green nasal
- Trouble breathing through the
- Nasal-sounding voice.
- A general feeling of not
being well (malaise).
- A cough caused by drainage down the back of
the throat (postnasal drip).
- Bad breath (more common in
- Reduced senses of taste and smell.
Medical treatment for a sinus infection includes medicines
- Treat the infection and prevent infection from
- Improve breathing.
- Reduce tissue
- Relieve pain.
- Maintain mucous
- Prevent scar tissue in the nose and sinuses.
An untreated sinus infection can lead to serious
|Primary Medical Reviewer||Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||H. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency Medicine|
|Last Revised||March 22, 2011|