How to Buy Health Insurance
Choosing a health insurance company—and an insurance plan—can be confusing. But when you know a few key facts, the decisions are a lot easier.
Here's the good news about Cigna:
- Cigna pays your claims in a timely manner.
- Cigna offers customer service call center hours 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to answer questions at any time.
- Cigna has negotiated discounts with contracted providers on health care services. A hospital might charge $500 for an X-ray; Cigna will negotiate a better rate. If services are subject to plan coinsurance, negotiated discounts can mean real savings for you.
Choosing a health insurance plan
Take time to think about the past year.
- How often did you or your family visit doctors?
- Did anyone go to the emergency room, or to an urgent care clinic?
- Did you meet your deductible? Is your doctor in-network?
There are no "right" or "wrong" answers. These questions will help you decide which insurance plan is best for you.
Benefits and discounts
Sure, you want good coverage with your plan, but a good insurance company can offer even more. Are these benefits important to you?
- Seeing your doctors with no referrals
- Provider networks developed with quality and savings in mind
- Preventive care and screenings like mammograms and colonoscopies
- Online and mobile access to your claims history and a health library
- 24/7 health information line
- Discounts on wellness products and services* that support your health—like fitness programs, weight counseling, vitamin supplements, yoga classes, and much more
Cigna provides all those benefits with every plan.
*The discount program is in addition to, not instead of, your plan benefits. A discount program is NOT insurance, and you must pay the entire discounted charge.
Many health insurance plans provide coverage for prescription drugs. But that coverage can vary, depending on a few factors.
- Cigna provides a mail-order medication service. Your medications are delivered to your home. Some customers see savings—especially with 90-day supplies.
- Cigna's plans provide coverage for a long list of both brand-name and generic medications, You may save money by switching to generics ($4 vs. $60 for 30-day supply, in some cases).
Tax advantages in health insurance
For some people, a policy with tax benefits is attractive. Health insurance plans that are qualified for a Health Savings Account allow you to set aside tax-deferred money toward future qualified medical expenses.
That money can go into a bank account or investment account—it's your choice. If you don't use the money, you can roll it toward next year's expenses. Or, you can keep saving toward retirement. It’s a tax shelter that many people prefer—and that works especially well if you're healthy.
Crunching the numbers when buying health insurance
Premiums, copays, deductibles, coinsurance, and out-of-pocket maximums: What does it all mean? Let's break it down with an example:
Let's say you need surgery—and you need it urgently. This is an emergency. And if it's a complex procedure, you may require a long hospital stay and follow-up care because of potential complications. All these factors can add up to a huge price tag.
Just one surgery could cost over $300,000, when all the bills are added up!
That high-cost procedure could leave someone with tremendous debt. However, with a Cigna plan, your out-of-pocket expenses would be limited. How?
For example, if you have a Cigna plan with a $3,000 annual in-network deductible, 80/20 coinsurance for inpatient services, and a $5,000 annual out-of-pocket maximum:
- You pay the first $3,000 to meet your annual deductible.
- That's when coinsurance applies–with Cigna paying 80% of the contracted amount and you paying 20%.
- However, because the plan has a $5,000 annual out-of pocket maximum, you've got an early cap on your expenses.
So, the most you will pay in one year for that complicated surgery is $5,000 – a fraction of the cost of the surgery and hospital care and recovery for such an event.
That's how health insurance works. You pay a monthly premium just as you do with car insurance. Depending on your plan, you may pay a deductible when you have a medical expense just as you do with car insurance when you have a claim. With health insurance, you may also pay a percent of the remaining expenses. And with the out-of-pocket maximum, your portion is capped.
When you have questions about health insurance, who can answer them? That's the benefit of a good customer service team. When you choose a health insurance company, make sure they have representatives who are patient with you, get to know the real you and provide answers that you need, in a language you understand.
A Cigna licensed insurance agent can provide the information you are looking for. You can get answers to your questions. They will crunch the numbers. They can help you decide which health insurance plan is best for you.
Do you speak Spanish? Cigna has Spanish-speaking insurance agents. Use an interpreter? Cigna also has agents who will work with your interpreter.
You can view available plans in your state whether they’re on the Health Insurance Marketplace or not—on Cigna.com. Sign up during the Open Enrollment Period. Outside of Open Enrollment, you may be eligible to purchase insurance if you have a qualifying life event. Learn more about enrollment options.
Arizona residents: View State Policy Disclosures, Exclusions and Limitations. All other states: View State Policy Disclosures. For a full list of exclusions and limitations, review the Summary of Benefits for the plan you are interested in, which is located under Plan Documents.
You can also call Cigna's licensed insurance agents at 1.866.438.2446, 8:00 am to 10:00 pm (ET), Monday through Friday.
At Cigna, our goal is to provide the information you need to help you make an informed decision.
If you are an Arizona resident interested in an individual HMO plan, please call 1.877.484.5967 for further details.
We're Here to Help
Looking for information?
Need a quote? Ready to enroll?
Are you a current Cigna Customer?
8:00 am to 10:00 pm (ET)
Monday through Friday
to speak with a licensed Cigna agent
Have a licensed Cigna agent call youGet Started
Already a customer?
Go Mobile! Get the myCigna mobile app*and take Cigna with you when you're on the go.
24/7 customer service
Billing and payments
8:00 am to 10:00 pm (ET), Monday
*The downloading and use of the myCigna.com mobile app is subject to the terms and conditions of the app and the online store from which it is downloaded. Standard mobile phone carrier and data usage charges apply.
Get Help Choosing a Health Plan
8:00 am - 10:00 pm EST, Monday - Friday to speak with one of our knowledgeable insurance consultants.
Take a few minutes to fill in some basic information and we'll provide a no-obligation quote on affordable health plans.
Know which plan you want? It's easy to apply for affordable health plans with our secure online application process.
Explore how health care reform may impact you.
FIND A DOCTOR
Find a doctor, dentist, hospital, pharmacy or clinic in our network.
Already a Customer?
Log in to myCigna
Manage your health care plan, pay your premium, download forms, print temporary ID cards-and more.
Not registered yet?
Register now or take a site tour.
Go mobile! Get the myCigna Mobile app and take myCigna on the go!
24/7 Customer Service:
8:00 am - 8:00 pm (EST), Monday through Friday
Add Dental Coverage to Your Plan:
8:00 am - 8:00 pm (EST), Monday through Friday