Florida Eligibility Requirements
All applicants applying for coverage must meet age, dependent status and residency requirements.
Age and Dependent Requirements
- Dependent children are covered up to age 26. Dependent children who have reached age 26 can continue to be covered up to the end of the calendar year in which they reach age 30 provided the child is unmarried and does not have a dependent of their own, and is a resident of Florida or a full-time or part-time student, and is not provided coverage as a named subscriber, insured, enrollee, or covered person under any other group, blanket, or franchise health insurance policy or individual health benefits plan, or is not entitled to benefits under Title XVIII of the Social Security Act. Your own, or spouse’s children, regardless of age who are enrolled prior to age 26 and are incapable of self-support due to a medically certified continuing mental or physical disability and are dependent upon the insured for support can continue coverage with written proof of disability and dependency within 61 days after the child’s 26 birthday. Cigna may require written proof of such disability or dependency thereafter.
- A newborn child or newly adopted child or child newly placed in foster care, born to or adopted by or placed in foster care with an enrolled subscriber, may be added to the subscriber’s plan within 61 days of the birth, adoption, or placement. Requests for enrollment beyond 61 days of the birth, adoption, or placement will need to wait until the next open enrollment period.
- Foster children will automatically be covered for 61 days from the date of placement in the subscriber’s residence. To continue coverage, the foster child must be enrolled as an insured family member by notifying Cigna within 61 days after placement and paying any additional premium.
- A child born to one of the subscriber’s dependent children will be eligible for coverage from birth through 18 months of age.
- Any newborn is automatically covered for the first 61 days of life. To continue coverage, the newborn must be enrolled as an insured family member by notifying Cigna, in writing, within 61 days of the birth and paying any additional premium. Requests for enrollment beyond 61 days of the birth will need to wait until the next open enrollment period
- Foreign exchange students are not eligible dependents
All applicants and dependents 18 years and older must sign and date the application.
- Must be a citizen or national of the United States, or is a non-citizen who is lawfully present in the United States, and is reasonably expected to be a citizen, national, or a non-citizen who is lawfully present for the entire period for which enrollment is sought.
- Citizens/Expatriates who have been living and working outside the U.S. and who are in process of returning to the U.S. are eligible to apply; the requested effective date must be after their return to the U.S.
- Applicants must reside in the following Florida counties at the time of application:
- Indian River
- Palm Beach
- Saint Lucie
- Dependents are not required to share the same address as the primary policyholder.
rate this page