It can be satisfying to work for yourself. But when you’re self-employed, it can also be tough to find affordable health insurance. Cigna is here to help you find a health insurance plan that meets your needs and your busy schedule.
We offer affordable health insurance for self-employed workers, including:
- Open Access Plans (OAP). Choose the doctors you want to see in-network or out-of-network. It’s up to you. Choose an in-network doctor for greater savings. No referral required to see a specialist.
- Open Access Value Plans. Same freedom of choice as Open Access plans with a lower monthly premium and a higher annual deductible and out-of-pocket maximum.
- Health Savings Plans. High deductible plan that is compatible with a tax-advantaged Health Savings Account (HSA) to help pay for current medical expenses or save for future ones.
Our health insurance plans meet the needs of busy professionals
We make sure you have the benefits to help you manage your health, including:
- Freedom to choose in our individual health insurance plans which doctors to see and when. No referrals are required. You save more though, when you see a doctor in large, Open Access Network
- The option to buy dental insurance. Cigna dental insurance covers a range of services, such as check-ups, X-rays, fillings and even root canals.
- Prescription drug coverage, plus access Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy. If it’s more convenient for you, we’ll send your prescription drugs right to your home or business.
- Online health management. Find a doctor, pay your monthly premium, view your claim history, print temporary ID cards-or learn about healthy living habits with our online health library.
- Discounts on health and wellness programs.* Get discounts on weight management and nutrition, fitness, tobacco cessation, mind/body, vision and hearing care, vitamins, alternative medicine, dental care and healthy lifestyle products.
- 24/7 nurse line. Our nurses are available 24/7 to help you get health information and find the services you need.
Self-employed and deciding on a health insurance plan?
Your lifestyle and health care needs are important to think about before you choose a health insurance and health services plan. If you go to the doctor often or are considering surgery, your needs are different than someone who only goes to the doctor for routine check-ups.
You might want to ask yourself:
- Do you think you will have surgery?
- Do you need dental or prescription drug coverage?
If you have questions, call , 8:00 am to 10:00 pm (EST), Monday through Friday.
You might want to ask us:
- Is your doctor is in our network?
- What are the deductibles? This is the amount you need to pay each year before your plan starts paying benefits.
- Is there coinsurance? This is a percentage of the covered costs you pay after you meet your deductible.
- Is there a co-pay? This is a flat fee you pay in addition to any coinsurance for services such as doctor visits or prescription drugs.
We'll help you choose a Cigna individual health insurance plan when you’re self-employed-so you get back to focusing on what’s important, your job.
* Some Healthy Rewards programs are not available in all states. If your Cigna HealthCare plan includes coverage for any of these services, this program is in addition to, not instead of, your plan coverage. Healthy Rewards programs are separate from your medical coverage. A discount program is NOT insurance, and the customer must pay the entire discounted charge.