When college students leave home for the first time, they face unique challenges—stress, lack of sleep and even poor eating habits.
They may need an affordable individual health insurance plan that lets them see doctors nationwide and rewards healthy behavior. That's why Cigna offers:
- Open Access Plans (OAP). Choose the doctors you want to see in-network or out-of-network. It's up to you. Choosing an in-network doctor offers greater savings. No referral required to see a specialist.
- Open Access Value Plans. Same freedom of choice as Open Access plans with a lower monthly premium and a higher annual deductible and out-of-pocket maximum.
- Health Savings Plans. High deductible plan that is compatible with a tax-advantaged Health Savings Account (HSA) to help pay for current medical expenses or save for future ones.
A plan that that meets the needs of college students
In order to help your son or daughter maintain their health, Cigna offers:
- Freedom to choose which doctors to see and when. No referrals are required. You save more though, when you see a doctor in our large, Open Access Network.
- The option to buy dental insurance. Cigna dental insurance covers a range of services, such as check-ups, X-rays, fillings and even root canals.
- Prescription drugs delivered to campus. Call Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy, and we'll send a 90-day supply of your student's prescription drugs right to the campus mail.
- Online health management. Find a doctor, pay your monthly premium, view your claim history, print temporary ID cards-or learn about healthy living habits with our online health library.
- Discounts on health and wellness programs.* Get discounts on weight management and nutrition, fitness, tobacco cessation, mind/body, vision and hearing care, vitamins, alternative medicine, dental care and healthy lifestyle products.
- 24/7 nurse line. Our nurses are available 24/7 to help answer questions about common health concerns-so even if you’re not there to help, someone always will be.
Looking to cover a student at college?
First, think about his or her lifestyle and health goals:
- How often does your young adult visit the doctor?
- Does your son or daughter also need dental insurance?
- Are there concerns about ongoing medical conditions, like asthma?
If you have questions, call , 8:00 am to 10:00 pm (EST), Monday through Friday.
You might want to ask us:
- How can I add my son or daughter to my health plan?
- Until what age are they able to stay on my plan?
- What in-network doctors are near my child’s college campus?
- What are the deductibles? This is the amount you need to pay each year before your plan starts paying benefits.
- Is there coinsurance? This is a percentage of the covered costs you pay after you meet your deductible.
- Is there a co-pay? This is a flat fee you pay in addition to any coinsurance for services such as doctor visits or prescription drugs.
We'll help you pick out a health insurance plan-so you can feel confident that your student is protected while away from home.
* Some Healthy Rewards programs are not available in all states. If your Cigna HealthCare plan includes coverage for any of these services, this program is in addition to, not instead of, your plan coverage. Healthy Rewards programs are separate from your medical coverage. A discount program is NOT insurance, and the customer must pay the entire discounted charge.