Helping Friends and Family
This information is provided to help you assist relatives, friends and loved ones choose the best possible health benefit plan coverage. Cigna provides Medicare prescription drug coverage plans in all states. In certain Arizona counties, Cigna offers an integrated medical and prescription drug product called Medicare Select Plus.
Cigna-HealthSpring offers Medicare Advantage plans that are available with or without drug coverage in specific states, while Cigna Supplemental Benefits offer supplemental health plans to give just the right amount of coverage.
To ensure you're getting the best information you need to help your parent, relative or friend choose the right plan, follow these guidelines.
- Plan a meeting. Set aside 30 minutes to an hour, either face-to-face or on the telephone.
- Gather information about their current health and benefit information, including:
- the doctors they see on a regular basis
- any treatment programs with which they are involved
- prescription drugs they use
- Does the Medicare recipient spend part of the year elsewhere?
- Find out what type of coverage they currently have, and who offers it.
- Make a list of any questions that you or they have. Answers to many common questions can be found here, or you can call Cigna Medicare.
Prescription Drug Coverage Information
- Review the plan's formulary (drug list) to compare the medications and costs that are covered under each plan.
- Check to see if their pharmacy is part of the plan's network.
- Compare the costs associated with each available plan. There are several costs to consider:
- Monthly premium amount
- Monthly costs for their medications
- What they will pay after yearly drug costs reach the Coverage Gap
- If the plan they are considering offers supplemental Gap Coverage, beyond what is mandated by Health Care Reform
- What they will pay after yearly cost reach the out-of-pocket minimum
- If the plan has a deductible - the amount they must pay themselves before the plan begins to pay for services.
If your parent, relative or friend thinks they cannot afford a Medicare prescription drug plan, they may qualify for financial help through an assistance program. Based on their income and assets, they may be eligible for programs that will pay more of their benefit costs. For more information, call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227). (TTY/TDD users should call 1-877-486-2048), 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Depending on the state they live in, the Medicare Prescription Drug Plan premium will generally cost less if they qualify for Extra Help from Medicare.
- The Cigna premiums listed on the premium tables do not include any Medicare Part B premium which they may still have to pay.