Medicare Advantage Plans: Eligibility & Enrollment
The Medicare Annual Enrollment Period runs from October 15 through December 7, 2013. During this time, you may switch from one Medicare Advantage plan to another. Certain exceptions apply if you wish to enroll outside of this enrollment period.
You may be eligible to enroll in a Cigna Medicare Select Plus Rx plan if:
- You are entitled to Medicare Part A and enrolled in Medicare Part B.
- You live in the service area of Maricopa County or certain zip codes within Apache Junction or Queen Creek, Arizona
- You do not have End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD), unless you are a member of our plan and have been since your dialysis began
- For specific information about Medicare enrollment periods, call 1-800-592-9231 (TTY: 711), 8 am to 8 pm, Monday - Friday
Your benefits, formulary, pharmacy network, premium and/or copayments/coinsurance may change on January 1, 2015. Please contact us for details.
Eligibility, Annual Enrollment, and Exceptions
When am I eligible to enroll in a Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug Plan?
There are specific enrollment periods when you can enroll in an MAPD plan:
- Initial Enrollment Period (IEP) - This is a seven-month period that begins three months before the month that you're eligible for Medicare and ends three months after the month of eligibility (generally your birth month).
- Annual Enrollment Period (AEP) - The AEP occurs October 15th through December 7th in 2012 and is the time when you can switch to another Medicare Advantage or Prescription Drug Plan. The new plan coverage will be effective beginning January 1.
- Special Enrollment Periods (SEPs) - Certain circumstances allow member to change plans outside of the Annual Enrollment Period. Examples of such circumstances include moving out of the plan's service area or involuntary loss of health plan coverage
The Medicare prescription drug program is voluntary, however, if you don't sign up for a Part D prescription drug plan when you are first eligible and wish to sign up later, you may have to pay a penalty.
When can I enroll in a Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug Plan?
Beneficiaries can enroll in a Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug Plan this year between October 15th and December 7th. Enrollment will be effective January 1, 2014.
Who is eligible to enroll in a Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug Plan?
In order to enroll in a MAPD plan, you must be entitled to Medicare Part A, and enrolled in Medicare Part B and live in the service area. The service area for Cigna Medicare Select Plus Rx plans is Maricopa County and certain Zip codes in Apache Junction and Queen Creek, Arizona. Generally, individuals with End Stage Renal Disease are not eligible to enroll in a Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug Plan.
Can I switch my Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug Plan?
Normally, you can only change plans once a year between October 15th and December 7th. However, there are some exceptions. For example, if you move out of your plan's service area. For more information about enrollment period exceptions, contact us.