Race Day Etiquette: Six Tips for a Great Race Experience
Congratulations! You’ve made the commitment to lace up your sneakers and run in the 2013 Walt Disney World ® Marathon Weekend presented by Cigna.
Running alongside thousands of people can be a pretty unique experience. And whether this is your first big race, or your 50th marathon, here are six simple “runner etiquette” tips that will help you – and your fellow runners – get the most out of your experience.
- Share your space. Each of the races on Marathon Weekend are popular world-class events that attract thousands of people from around the world. Wide open spaces are at a premium, and you’ll need to share your space. Be aware of the people around you, and your surroundings.
- Look before you pass. It’s common for runners to jockey for position, pass slower runners, etc. Before leaving your personal “lane,” be sure to first check to either side of you. That way, you’ll avoid colliding with someone – and possibly ending that person’s race prematurely. This is especially true if you’re going to stop or slow down for a water station. And if you’re going to pass someone, announce “On your left” or “On your right” to let them know.
- Thank the Volunteers.There would be no race without volunteers! So every opportunity you get, thank them. It means the world to them, and will keep them coming back next year!
- Spit Down.Yes, it sounds gross, but it’s pretty common to spit when you’re running. And when you’re bunched together with thousands of other runners, it’s easy to accidentally expectorate on someone’s shoes or shirt. A good solution: Spit in front of you and down, not to the side. Just avoid the sneakers on the person in front of you.
- Keep Moving Through the Finish. When you finish the race, the first thing you’ll likely want to do is stop running. It’s only natural! But as there are others behind you, keep walking forward, following the instructions of the finish line volunteers. Plus, you’ll get your finisher’s medal sooner.
- Smile and Have Fun. Think about it: You’re running at Walt Disney World, where dreams come true. How cool is that? Enjoy it, and others around you will enjoy it more as well!
You’ve made the commitment to participate in the 2013 Walt Disney World ® Marathon Weekend. Make sure you follow the rules of the road, make the most of your unique strengths . . . and remember that while you may be one runner among thousands, you are one of a kind. GO YOU!
For more information about Cigna and the services they provide, please visit www.Cigna.com.