Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Our promise is to advance an inclusive culture that is powerfully diverse, strives for equity, and values every person’s unique differences and talents.
We Stand Together
At Cigna, diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) is a business priority. We believe DEI must be embraced, embedded, and championed in order to be effective across our company – and in doing so, we grow stronger in our ability to positively impact the people and communities we serve.
- We have zero tolerance for racism of any kind by anyone and toward anyone. Racism is absolutely unacceptable at Cigna and in our society. It goes against everything we stand for as a responsible global organization and health service leader.
- Investing in the health of our communities is critical to our mission. We promote full acceptance of differences and understanding of diversity. Investing in the health of our communities is critical to our mission. We are focused on pursuing health equity for all by eliminating unfair and unjust barriers in health care.
- We believe in finding common ground to help create a better world. We’re committed to ensuring people feel comfortable being themselves at work. The more we understand each other and treat each other with dignity and respect, the stronger we will be.
Being transparent and tracking progress on our commitments are key steps toward delivering real, sustainable change. We publish an annual DEI Scorecard Report, which reflects our goal-oriented approach and the targeted actions we’re taking to make meaningful impact in three key areas – colleagues, clinical, and communities.
Diversity Scorecard Report
Our annual DEI Scorecard Report reflects our goal-oriented approach and the targeted actions we’re taking to make meaningful impact in three key areas – colleagues, clinical, and communities.
Hear from Our Leaders
“Cigna’s commitment to diversity and inclusion (D&I) is reflected in every area of our business, and firmly rooted in our company’s values. D&I is also a critical cornerstone of our mission–to improve the health, well-being, and peace of mind of those we serve, inclusive of our customers, patients, and colleagues. The only way we can achieve this is by respecting and celebrating that which makes us all unique and important as individuals.”
David M. Cordani, President and CEO
“Bringing together a diverse workforce means we’re better able to meet the needs of our 180 million customer relationships. And when we address broader societal needs through a diversity and inclusion lens, we can solve business problems critical to our mission.”
Susan Stith, VP, DEI, Charitable Giving, and President of the Cigna Foundation
How We’re Making It Happen
Here’s how we’re making progress on our commitment:
We seek to elevate a diverse next generation of leaders. To do this, we launched Cigna’s Enterprise DEI Council with two committees:
- Health Equity Committee – With the mission to ensure that all people have the opportunity to achieve their full health potential regardless of social, economic, or environmental circumstances, we oversee programs that address social determinants of health (SDOH) and offer solutions that make quality, affordable health care available for everyone.
- Leadership Accountability Committee – With the mission to drive strategic accountability for results and ensure shared leadership accountability for behaviors and actions that facilitate belonging, innovation, and equity for all Cigna colleagues.
We ensure every employee feels a sense of belonging and is able to reach their fullest potential. We accomplish this by offering 11 Enterprise Resource Groups (ERGs), requiring unconscious bias training for all employees, providing forums for employees to learn about different cultures and perspectives in our Inspiring Inclusive Conversation series, and holding the annual Global Women’s Leadership Summit and the Experience Diversity Summit.
We proactively monitor our people, processes and programs to ensure fair outcomes. With the goal of furthering our connection with diverse suppliers, we’ve committed to spending $1B annually with diverse suppliers by 2025. And we continue to monitor our compensation programs for potential disparities.
It is Cigna’s policy to recruit, hire, train, and promote individuals in all job roles and ensure that all other personnel actions are administered without regard to race, color, age, disability, sex (including pregnancy), childbirth, or related medical conditions, including but not limited to lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital or familial status, genetic information, status with regard to public assistance, citizenship status, or any characteristic protected by applicable equal employment opportunity (EEO) laws.
Review our Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO-1) data, representing our U.S.-based employees as of December 2020.
We showcase the impact of diversity, equity, and inclusion with our colleagues, customers, clients, and communities. Each year, we host our Experience Diversity Summit and our Global Women’s Leadership Summit for thousands of employees, leaders, and community partners to explore and learn from our differences and similarities through storytelling.
Our five-year initiative to grow and accelerate our efforts to support diversity, inclusion, equality, and equity for communities of color. We’re doing this by focusing on improvements to health, well-being, peace of mind, and governance.
Offering Ongoing Support
Cigna is committed to helping advance the race dialogue around diversity, equity, and inclusion and address the many emotions that racial injustice can bring on. That’s why we created
Cigna’s Enterprise Resource Groups (ERGs)
Another way diversity, equity, and inclusion is brought to life is through our Enterprise Resource Groups (ERGs). Our ERGs provide a positive place for support, development, and cross-cultural understanding for our employees around the world. Our ERGs include:
- ABLE (Achieving Better Lives for Everyone)
- African American/Black
- Aspire (Asian/South Asian)
- Generations (multi-generational)
- Juntos (Hispanic/Latino)
- Pride (LGBTQ+)
- Salute (veterans/military)
- UpLift (interfaith)
- UpNext (career mobility)
- WIN (Women Influencing and Networking)
I want to...
Secure Member Sites
Cigna Company Information
Individual and family medical and dental insurance plans are insured by Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company (CHLIC), Cigna HealthCare of Arizona, Inc., Cigna HealthCare of Illinois, Inc., and Cigna HealthCare of North Carolina, Inc. Group health insurance and health benefit plans are insured or administered by CHLIC, Connecticut General Life Insurance Company (CGLIC), or their affiliates (see
All insurance policies and group benefit plans contain exclusions and limitations. For availability, costs and complete details of coverage, contact a licensed agent or Cigna sales representative. This website is not intended for residents of New Mexico.