For security reasons, Cigna.com no longer supports your browser version. Please update your browser, or use an alternative browser such as Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, or Mozilla Firefox for the best Cigna.com experience.
Grow a once-a-year health fair to an all-year wellness program.
- Create a customized plan, easy administration and simple communication
- Overcome barriers to language, predawn shifts, 110 full-time employees constantly moving
- Lower use of diabetic, heart and blood vessel, and blood pressure medications
How We Did It
Key to this successful strategy was the collaborative relationship between the district’s Human Resources manager and their Health Improvement Strategist from Cigna. Health Improvement Strategists are wellness experts assigned to Cigna clients with one goal – to help them create and maintain a plan that supports healthy behaviors, and gets employees to take the right actions to reduce their health risks, stay healthy and avoid future disease.
- 245 total customers (employees and family members)
- 641-acre regional park district, 12 locations
- Office and field workers, full-time and seasonal
- Non-English speaking customers
- Significant usage of diabetic, heart and blood vessel, and blood pressure medications
- Annual health fair/health screening
- Completion of employee wellness interest survey
- Walking challenge and formation of a walking club
- Cigna onsite wellness seminars
- Yearlong points-based system for participation in all events
- Continue to grow 2014 program by adding multiple wellness challenges and seminars, promotion and educational opportunities
An 8x increase in wellness events helped the district secure a flat health plan renewal with a 0% medical cost trend and savings** under their self-funded health plan, all while maintaining their comprehensive health benefits.
in condition management
per employee in lab costs
Reduced population risk
for cholesterol and diabetes
More preventive care
*Schaumburg Park District, Cigna reporting for plan year the June 2014 – May 2015.
**Based on the group’s experience, for plan year 2014 we were able to keep their administration fees, Individual and Aggregate stop loss premium rates, and Aggregate attachment factors the same as the previous year.
Stop-loss insurance and group health plans are insured and/or administered by Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company. Plans contain exclusions and limitations and may not be available in all areas. For costs and details of coverage, contact a Cigna representative.