Case Study | May 2018
Improving Health Becomes a Walk in the Park
In one year, with the help of Cigna HealthcareSM, Schaumburg Park District transformed its annual health fair into a year-long employee health improvement strategy designed to boost workplace productivity and employee health.
Grow a once-a-year health fair to an all-year wellness program.
- Create a customized plan, easy administration and simple communication
- Overcome barriers to language, predawn shifts, 110 full-time employees constantly moving
- Lower use of diabetic, heart and blood vessel, and blood pressure medications
How We Did It
Key to this successful strategy was the collaborative relationship between the district’s Human Resources manager and their Health Improvement Strategist from Cigna Healthcare. Health Improvement Strategists are wellness experts assigned to Cigna Healthcare clients with one goal – to help them create and maintain a plan that supports healthy behaviors, and gets employees to take the right actions to reduce their health risks, stay healthy and avoid future disease.
- Annual health fair/health screening
- Completion of employee wellness interest survey
- Walking challenge and formation of a walking club
- Cigna Healthcare onsite wellness seminars
- Yearlong points-based system for participation in all events
- Continue to grow 2014 program by adding multiple wellness challenges and seminars, promotion and educational opportunities
An 8x increase in wellness events helped the district secure a flat health plan renewal with a 0% medical cost trend and savings** under their self-funded health plan, all while maintaining their comprehensive health benefits.
- 245 total customers (employees and family members)
- 641-acre regional park district, 12 locations
- Office and field workers, full-time and seasonal
- Non-English speaking customers
- Significant usage of diabetic, heart and blood vessel, and blood pressure medications
Reduced population risk
More preventive care
Learn More About Our Solutions
Want results like these? Let's talk.
Contact your broker or connect with a Cigna Healthcare representative to learn more about how we can work together.
Let's Get Started
Thank you for your interest in Cigna. Please provide some basic information about your company and a representative will contact you.
*Schaumburg Park District, Cigna Healthcare reporting for plan year the June 2014 – May 2015.
**Based on the group’s experience, for plan year 2014 we were able to keep their administration fees, Individual and Aggregate stop loss premium rates, and Aggregate attachment factors the same as the previous year.
Stop-loss insurance and group health plans are insured and/or administered by Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company. Plans contain exclusions and limitations and may not be available in all areas. For costs and details of coverage, contact a Cigna Healthcare representative.
I want to...
Secure Member Sites
The Cigna Group Information
Individual and family medical and dental insurance plans are insured by Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company (CHLIC), Cigna HealthCare of Arizona, Inc., Cigna HealthCare of Illinois, Inc., Cigna HealthCare of Georgia, Inc., Cigna HealthCare of North Carolina, Inc., Cigna HealthCare of South Carolina, Inc., and Cigna HealthCare of Texas, Inc. Group health insurance and health benefit plans are insured or administered by CHLIC, Connecticut General Life Insurance Company (CGLIC), or their affiliates (see
All insurance policies and group benefit plans contain exclusions and limitations. For availability, costs and complete details of coverage, contact a licensed agent or Cigna sales representative. This website is not intended for residents of New Mexico.