Asbestos is a substance that was used in building materials. The
substance can enter the body by being inhaled or swallowed. The substance
attaches to the lining of the respiratory and digestive tracts. Contact with
asbestos over time has been linked with cancer.
Most contact with asbestos is work-related. Some older homes may
still have asbestos insulation. Government environmental offices have
information on safety for asbestos contact and removal.
This information does not replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise, Incorporated, disclaims any warranty or liability for your use of this information. Your use of this information means that you agree to the
how we develop our content .