If you have a possible poisoning emergency, call 1-800-222-1222 and you will be automatically transferred to the closest poison control center.
Many of the items in our homes can be poisonous to children—household cleaners, medicines, cosmetics, garden products, and houseplants. If these items are not kept out of reach, your child could swallow, inhale, or eat these toxic substances or get them on his or her skin.
Young children have the highest risk of poisoning because of their natural curiosity. Products that are poisonous to children can also harm pets.
Use the following tips to keep dangerous products or items away from children.
- National Pesticide Information Center (2008). Signal words. Available online: http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/signalwords.html.
Other Works Consulted
- Wang G, et al. (2014). Poisoning. In WW Hay Jr et al., eds., Current Diagnosis and Treatment: Pediatrics, 22nd ed., pp. 357–386. New York: McGraw-Hill.
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2021 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.