- 6 bell peppers
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed**
- 1 (14oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14oz) can vegetarian refried beans
- 1 & 1/2 cups red enchilada sauce
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 & 1/2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- Toppings: cilantro, avocado, low fat sour cream, etc.
- Cut the tops off the peppers and scrape out the ribs and seeds.
- In a large bowl, combine the quinoa, beans, enchilada sauce, spices, and 1 cup of the cheese. Fill each pepper with the quinoa mixture.
- Pour ½ cup water into the bottom of a crock pot. Place the peppers in the crock pot so they’re sitting in the water. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours. Remove the lid, distribute remaining cheese over the tops of the peppers, and cover again for a few minutes to melt the cheese.
- Serve topped with anything you like! Note: If your crockpot is not big enough to accommodate all 6 peppers, bake in the oven with a little water in the bottom of the pan, covered with foil, for about 45 minutes at 400 degrees.
The leftover filling can be stored in the refrigerator for a day or two.
**Quinoa is the only plant source that is a complete protein, meaning it contains all the essential amino acids your body needs. With 8 grams of quality protein per cup, it is an excellent plant-based protein source for vegetarians and vegans.