If an illness or injury should occur, you may need more than just health coverage. Disability insurance pays part of your covered earnings when you can't work for a period of time due to a covered illness or injury.
If offered through your employer, Cigna provides 2 different disability insurance solutions to meet your needs:
- Short-term disability: Helps if you are temporarily disabled for a short period of time.
- Long-term disability: Offers you additional protection if you are disabled and unable to work for an extended amount of time.
Did you know?1
How it works
- Pays a percentage of covered earnings if you can’t work for a period of time due to a covered illness or injury.
- Quick disability claim decisions so you’ll receive payment for your claims quickly. The money can be spent any way you’d like–just like you’d use your paycheck.
- Automatic claims submission if you also have Cigna’s Accidental Injury, Critical Illness, or Hospital Care insurance coverage. We’ll automatically file your Cigna Accidental Injury, Critical Illness, or Hospital Care claim so you don’t have to.
Why enroll in a Cigna Disability Insurance plan through your employer?
- We’ll help you get back to your full potential sooner. If a disabling illness or injury occurs, our expert health and vocational coaches work together to help get you back on your feet. We saw a 91 percent rise among our customers who felt positive about their ability to work after coaching.2
- Lower rates. Group coverage is typically less expensive than if you purchased coverage on your own.
- Convenient payroll deductions. With easy deductions from your paycheck, there’s no need to write a check on a monthly basis.
- Value-added programs and services. You and your covered family members will have access to a suite of programs and services for use at any time at no additional cost.3
After Teresa went out of work to have a back surgery, she feared what the future would bring and how her recovery would go. Cigna's Vocational Team worked with Teresa and her manager to help her reach her full potential sooner.
Cigna and Achilles International, working together for our customers
Achilles International is a nonprofit that brings volunteers and disabled runners together to train in an environment of support and community.
Our collaboration with Achilles International, helps us accelerate whole-person health and build strong personal relationships with those we serve.
See how our collaboration has impacted the lives of 2 individuals:
When a nurse found herself unable to walk, we helped her recover so she could get back to the work and life she loves.
When Jordan found his chronic back pain unbearable, we helped him find relief in an unexpected way.
Disability Podcast Series
New York Life Insurance Company has acquired Cigna Group Insurance (CGI). As part of this transition, CGI has changed its name to New York Life Group Benefit Solutions. You can continue to access your benefits and service information on myCigna.com.
1 Cigna, “2018 Disability Survey.” November 2018.
2 2019 Healthy Working Life Survey. The study was conducted via an online survey launched by Cigna and completed by 295 customers in 2019.
3 These programs are NOT insurance and do not provide reimbursement for financial losses. Some restrictions may apply. Programs and services may be added or discontinued at any time. View your enrollment materials for details, including a description of the programs or services that are included with the specific plan(s) offered through your employer. Program availability may vary by location, and are not available where prohibited by law.
Product availability may vary by location and plan type and is subject to change. All group insurance policies and benefit plans may contain exclusions, limitations, reduction of benefits, and terms under which the policies may be continued in force or discontinued. For costs and complete details of coverage, contact your employer, a licensed insurance agent or your Cigna representative.
All Cigna products and services are provided exclusively by or through operating subsidiaries of Cigna Corporation, including Life Insurance Company of North America and Cigna Life Insurance Company of New York (New York, NY). Policy form: TL-004700 et al. The Cigna name, logo, and other Cigna marks are owned by Cigna Intellectual Property, Inc.
This page is not intended for residents of NM.