Cigna's Informed Choice program* helps you find the diagnostic test that may be right for your health - and your finances
MRIs, CTs and PET scans can cost much less at some facilities. You can save by making a more informed choice about where you get your services.
If you decide to save money by going to a more cost-effective facility, Cigna can help. Our Informed Choice program representatives can schedule your appointment at an in-network facility and help you understand if prior approval is necessary.
You and your doctor always have the final say over where you have these services performed. But by learning about more cost-effective facilities, you're empowered to make more informed choices.
What is the Cigna Informed Choice Program?
When you have the tools and services, you can make better, more informed decisions about your health and how your money is spent.
The Cigna Informed Choice program is a support and outreach initiative that seeks to educate customers scheduled for an MRI, CT, or PET scan. Find out your options to receive these radiology health care services at more cost-effective, geographically convenient facilities.
How does the Cigna Informed Choice Program work?
An Informed Choice program representative may contact you when an ordering physician has requested a higher-cost facility for high-technology radiology services, and the representative is able to identify other conveniently located in-network facilities which offer the same radiology health care services at a lower cost. These are the steps:
- Your doctor contacts us to request approval for an MRI, CT, or PET scan.
- While reviewing the request, we also check to see where the doctor ordered the services to be performed.
- We check to see if another in-network, local facility offers the same services at a lower cost.
- If we find a more cost-effective facility, we’ll call you to let you know.
How do I benefit from the program?
Through the Cigna Informed Choice program, you get:
- One-on-one attention from an Informed Choice representative.
- Information about conveniently located, in-network facilities that can perform the services you need.
- Cost comparisons, so you know how much money you could save by choosing a more cost-effective facility.
- Help with scheduling your appointment at the lower cost facility.
- Information about the scan approval, including the authorization number.
We can also connect you directly with our Customer Service team. They can help answer any other questions you might have about benefits, account-based plans such as a Health Reimbursement Account (HRA) or Health Savings Account (HSA), or other plan details.
Frequently Asked Questions
*Program availability may vary by plan.
This information is for educational purposes only and is not medical advice or services. Always consult with your health care provider and consider all relevant factors when making decisions related to your health care.