Skip to main navigation
Skip to main content
Skip to footer
For Individuals & Families:
For Individuals & Families
Explore coverage through work
How to Buy Health Insurance
Types of Dental Insurance
Open Enrollment vs. Special Enrollment
See all topics
Shop for Medicare plans
Find a Doctor
Log in to myCigna
The copperhead is a poisonous (venomous) pit viper found in areas extending from the eastern United States to Texas. Copperheads may leave distinctive double marks on the skin. They leave one, two, or three puncture marks on the skin, but you won't always see any marks.
A copperhead has:
- Hourglass-shaped markings down the back.
- Pitlike depressions behind the nostril.
- A triangular head with slit-shaped pupils and fangs.
- A single row of plates or scales on the undersurface of the snake, including the tail.
A copperhead does not have rattles but may shake its tail in warning. The snakes can be as long as 4 ft (1.2 m).
Symptoms of a bite from a copperhead usually appear from minutes to hours after the bite and include:
- Severe, immediate pain with rapid swelling.
- Bruising of the skin.
- Trouble breathing.
- Changes in heart rate or rhythm.
- A metallic, rubbery, or minty taste in the mouth.
- Numbness or tingling around the mouth, tongue, scalp, feet, or the bite area.
- Swelling in lymph nodes near the bite.
- Signs of shock.
If you think you have been bitten by a copperhead,call 911 or other emergency services immediately.
Current as of: November 9, 2022
Author: Healthwise Staff
Medical Review:William H. Blahd Jr. MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine & Adam Husney MD - Family Medicine & Kathleen Romito MD - Family Medicine & Sean P. Bush MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine, Envenomation Specialist
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2023 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Snake and Lizard Bites