Skip to main navigation
Skip to main content
Skip to footer
For Individuals & Families:
For Individuals & Families
Explore coverage through work
How to Buy Health Insurance
Types of Dental Insurance
Open Enrollment vs. Special Enrollment
See all topics
Shop for Medicare plans
Find a Doctor
Log in to myCigna
Symptoms of Pregnancy
Symptoms of Pregnancy
You may be pregnant if you:
- Have had sexual intercourse and you have not used any method of birth control.
- Have missed one or more periods.
- Have your period, but there is a lot less bleeding than usual.
- Take birth control pills, but you missed a pill. It is especially risky to miss a pill early in the cycle or pack or to start your new pack a day or two late.
- Have other symptoms of early pregnancy. Symptoms include:
- Breast tenderness or enlargement.
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Increased urination.
- Have done a home pregnancy test, and the result was positive.
If you have regular menstrual periods and are sexually active, you can become pregnant, even if you use birth control.
If you think you might be pregnant, do a home pregnancy test. If the result is positive, practice the following good health habits until you see your doctor:
- Eat a balanced diet.
- Do not smoke.
- Do not use alcohol or drugs.
- Avoid caffeine, or limit your intake to about 1 cup of coffee or tea each day.
- Do not clean a cat litter box to avoid the risk of toxoplasmosis.
- Avoid people who are ill.
- Take a vitamin supplement that contains folic acid or a prenatal vitamin.
Even if the pregnancy test is negative, if you continue to have pregnancy symptoms, it is a good idea to see your doctor to confirm the results. Practice good health habits until you see your doctor.
Current as of: November 9, 2022
Author: Healthwise Staff
Medical Review:William H. Blahd Jr. MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine & Adam Husney MD - Family Medicine & Kathleen Romito MD - Family Medicine & H. Michael O'Connor MD - Emergency Medicine
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2023 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Missed or Irregular Periods