A Visit to Your Dentist May Save Your Life
Serious Ailments, Like Oral Cancer, Can be Found During Regular Exams
PHILADELPHIA, January 26, 2010 - A dental exam is much more than a cavity-spotting expedition. In addition to decay, dentists look for potentially life-threatening conditions including oral cancer.
According to the Oral Cancer Foundation, 35,000 Americans are diagnosed each year with oral cancer, while 8,000 Americans each year die from it. Without early detection, survival rates significantly worsen.
Having regular dental exams is the most important step, but knowing what to look for between check-ups is also critical. Test your knowledge with a short multiple-choice online quiz. Then, go a step further and listen to a three-minute podcast with Dr. Cary Sun, a dental director at Cigna Dental, on http://www.itstimetofeelbetter.com's audio page. Finally, ask your dentist for an oral cancer exam at your next regular checkup.
"Since oral cancer is not in the news as often as other types of cancer, education is extremely important," Dr. Sun said. "If people learn about the disease and its symptoms, oral cancer can be detected sooner."
"Screenings for oral cancer are usually quick and painless," Dr. Sun said. "People need to make sure they get their regular dental exams, not just for teeth cleanings and cavity treatment, but to guard against more serious ailments like oral cancer."
Cigna (NYSE:CI), a global health service company, is dedicated to helping people improve their health, well-being and security. Cigna Corporation's operating subsidiaries provide an integrated suite of medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy and vision care benefits, as well as group life, accident and disability insurance, to approximately 46 million people throughout the United States and around the world. People covered by a Cigna dental plan can choose their dentists from one of the largest dental HMO and dental PPO networks in the United States. To learn more about Cigna, visit www.cigna.com. To sign up for email alerts or an RSS feed of company news, log on to http://www.cigna.com/newsroom/rss. Also, follow us on Twitter: @cignatweets.
Other articles in News Releases:
- Cigna Corporation Announces Appearance at the Goldman Sachs 40th Annual Global Healthcare Conference
- Cigna Named to CR Magazine 100 Best Corporate Citizens for Fifth Consecutive Year
- Cigna Commits $140,000 to Methodist and Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital Foundations to Expand Community Health and Well-being Services
- Cigna Corporation to Host Investor Day on May 31, 2019
- Bridges Health Partners LLC and Cigna Announce Collaborative Accountable Care Agreement to Improve Health and Lower Costs in Western Pennsylvania
- Cigna Delivers Strong First Quarter 2019 Results, Raises Outlook