A Visit to Your Dentist May Save Your Life
Serious Ailments, Like Oral Cancer, Can be Found During Regular Exams
PHILADELPHIA, January 26, 2010 - A dental exam is much more than a cavity-spotting expedition. In addition to decay, dentists look for potentially life-threatening conditions including oral cancer.
According to the Oral Cancer Foundation, 35,000 Americans are diagnosed each year with oral cancer, while 8,000 Americans each year die from it. Without early detection, survival rates significantly worsen.
Having regular dental exams is the most important step, but knowing what to look for between check-ups is also critical. Test your knowledge with a short multiple-choice online quiz. Then, go a step further and listen to a three-minute podcast with Dr. Cary Sun, a dental director at Cigna Dental, on http://www.itstimetofeelbetter.com's audio page. Finally, ask your dentist for an oral cancer exam at your next regular checkup.
"Since oral cancer is not in the news as often as other types of cancer, education is extremely important," Dr. Sun said. "If people learn about the disease and its symptoms, oral cancer can be detected sooner."
"Screenings for oral cancer are usually quick and painless," Dr. Sun said. "People need to make sure they get their regular dental exams, not just for teeth cleanings and cavity treatment, but to guard against more serious ailments like oral cancer."
Cigna (NYSE:CI), a global health service company, is dedicated to helping people improve their health, well-being and security. Cigna Corporation's operating subsidiaries provide an integrated suite of medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy and vision care benefits, as well as group life, accident and disability insurance, to approximately 46 million people throughout the United States and around the world. People covered by a Cigna dental plan can choose their dentists from one of the largest dental HMO and dental PPO networks in the United States. To learn more about Cigna, visit www.cigna.com. To sign up for email alerts or an RSS feed of company news, log on to http://www.cigna.com/newsroom/rss. Also, follow us on Twitter: @cignatweets.
Other articles in News Releases:
- Express Scripts Enables Access to SilverCloud Health Digital Program to Help Members Cope with COVID-19 Pandemic
- Cigna And Express Scripts Partner With Buoy Health To Offer Digital COVID-19 Screening Tools
- Cigna Waives Customer Cost-Sharing For COVID-19 Treatment And Deploys Clinical Teams To Increase Virtual Care Capacity
- Cigna Makes It Easier For Hospitals To Focus On COVID-19 By Helping Accelerate Patient Transfers
- Cigna Expands Benefits To Support And Protect Its Workforce In Response To COVID-19
- Cigna Corporation Announces Pricing Terms of Tender Offers for up to $1.45 billion in Aggregate Principal Amount of Outstanding Notes