Cigna Plans Among Top Private Health Insurance Plans, According to National Committee for Quality Assurance 2010-2011 Ranking*
BLOOMFIELD, Conn., September 21, 2010 - Cigna (NYSE:CI) health plans are among the highest ranked private HMO and Point of Service health care plans in the country, according to NCQA's Health Insurance Plan Rankings 2010-11.*
In the recently-released rankings, Cigna HMO and Point of Service plans were the highest rated in six states and the District of Columbia. In another distinction, Cigna plans in New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts and the Mid-Atlantic -- which serves customers in Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C. -- ranked among the top 50 private health plans in the country. Ten additional Cigna plans are ranked among the nation's top 100 private plans.*
For the fifth consecutive year, Cigna was the top-ranked plan in the state of Maryland and in the District of Columbia, also achieving this distinction for the third consecutive year in the state of Virginia.** Cigna was the top-ranked plan in North Carolina and in Missouri for the fourth consecutive year.** In addition, Cigna plans in Texas and Tennessee were also the highest-rated plans in these states this year.
"We are pleased to once again be recognized by NCQA for the quality of care and customer service that we provide to our customers and to be among the highest rated plans," said Dr. Jeff Kang, chief medical officer for Cigna. "Rankings such as NCQA's are helpful for individuals, but also for health plans because they provide a snapshot of what we're doing well, and a roadmap for how we can continue to improve."
The rankings of HMO and Point of Service plans are based on the voluntary submission of health care quality results as measured through HEDIS® (Healthcare Effectiveness Data and Information Set); customer service scores based on customer surveys through CAHPS® (Consumer Assessment of Health Providers and Systems); and scores on NCQA accreditation surveys. Approximately 227 private health plans are listed in the rankings. More information on the rankings is available at www.ncqa.org.
* According to NCQA's Health Insurance Plan Rankings 2010-11 - Private
** According to U.S. News/NCQA "America's Best Health Insurance Plans" 2005-2009 (annual). "America's Best Health Insurance Plans" is a trademark of U.S. News & World Report.
Cigna (NYSE: CI) is a global health service and financial company dedicated to helping people improve their health, well-being and sense of security. Cigna Corporation's operating subsidiaries in the United States provide an integrated suite of health services, such as medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy and vision care benefits, as well as group life, accident and disability insurance. Cigna offers products and services in over 27 countries and jurisdictions and has approximately 60 million customer relationships throughout the world. To learn more about Cigna, visit www.cigna.com . To sign up for email alerts or an RSS feed of company news, log on to http://www.cigna.com/newsroom/rss . Also, follow us on Twitter at @cigna , visit Cigna's YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/cigna and listen to Cigna's podcast series with healthy tips and information at http://www.cigna.com/podcasts or by searching "Cigna" in iTunes.
Other articles in News Releases:
- Cigna + Oscar Helps Small Business Owners who Recognize that a Healthy Workforce is the Key to a Vibrant Business in COVID-19 Environment
- Priority Health and Cigna Form Strategic Alliance to Make Quality Health Care More Affordable and Accessible for Michigan Employers and Customers
- Cigna Donates $75,000 to the City of Memphis to Fund COVID-19 Testing for Underserved Communities
- Cigna, Huntsville Hospital Health System Reach Agreement to Provide Value-Based Care to Medicare Advantage Customers in Northern Alabama
- Cigna Foundation Announces Availability Of $5 Million In Grants To Address Children's Mental Health, Childhood Hunger
- Cigna Expands and Extends Its COVID-19 Relief Efforts for Medicare Advantage and Individual and Family Plans