Children's Memorial Hospital Wins $20,000 Executive Challenge Grant from Cigna Foundation
Kathleen Keenan Liz Keating
(215) 761-4756 (773) 880-4728
• Children's Memorial Hospital earns $20,000 as winner of Cigna leadership competition
• Four additional charities each awarded $5,000 grants
• All support Cigna's mission of improving health, well-being and sense of security
CHICAGO - June 24, 2011 - Cigna has announced that Children's Memorial Hospital will receive a $20,000 Cigna Foundation grant as the winner of last night's Cigna Executive Challenge in Chicago. The Executive Challenge paired company leaders with five local not-for-profit groups in a contest featuring an array of fun team-building and leadership activities designed to test creative and strategic thinking while broadening Cigna leaders' understanding of cultural diversity, communication and community service.
"One of the best ways we can grow as a company is to stretch our leaders to think differently and look for new ways to accomplish goals," said David Cordani, president and CEO, Cigna. "This Challenge not only serves the Chicago community by providing grants to important organizations in the area; it also allowed our team to gain a different perspective through their hands-on work with successful community groups."
The winning non-profit, Children's Memorial Hospital, was chosen based on the results of the competition, which emphasized team commitment to service, communication and global sensitivity. The remaining four participating Chicago-area charities -- American Heart Association; Art Institute of Chicago; Northwestern Memorial Hospital; and YMCA of Greater Chicago - will each receive a $5,000 Cigna Foundation grant in recognition of their role in building a healthier community.
"It was an honor to be selected by Cigna to participate in their executive leadership challenge," said Jenny Heimerl, development officer at Children's Memorial Foundation. "We share Cigna's goal of community service and this generous $20,000 grant will go a long way towards completing our new facility, Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago, and helping make Chicago the healthiest place for kids."
To read more about what Cigna is doing in the community, visit our Newsroom.
Cigna (NYSE: CI) is a global health service and financial company dedicated to helping people improve their health, well-being and sense of security. Cigna Corporation's operating subsidiaries in the United States provide an integrated suite of health services, such as medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy and vision care benefits, as well as group life, accident and disability insurance. Cigna offers products and services in 29 countries and jurisdictions and has approximately 66 million customer relationships throughout the world. All products and services are provided exclusively by such operating subsidiaries and not by Cigna Corporation. Such operating subsidiaries include Life Insurance Company of North America, Cigna Life Insurance Company of New York, and Connecticut General Life Insurance Company. To learn more about Cigna, visit www.cigna.com. To sign up for email alerts or an RSS feed of company news, log on to http://www.cigna.com/newsroom/rss. Also, follow us on Twitter at @cigna, visit Cigna's YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/cigna and listen to Cigna's podcast series with healthy tips and information at http://www.cigna.com/podcasts or by searching "Cigna" in iTunes.
Cigna Foundation is a private foundation funded by contributions from Cigna Corporation and its subsidiaries. The Cigna Foundation supports organizations sharing its commitment to enhancing the health of individuals and families, and the well-being of their communities, with a special focus on those communities where Cigna employees live and work.
Other articles in News Releases:
- Cigna Corporation's Second Quarter 2020 Earnings Release Details
- Cigna + Oscar Helps Small Business Owners who Recognize that a Healthy Workforce is the Key to a Vibrant Business in COVID-19 Environment
- Priority Health and Cigna Form Strategic Alliance to Make Quality Health Care More Affordable and Accessible for Michigan Employers and Customers
- Cigna Donates $75,000 to the City of Memphis to Fund COVID-19 Testing for Underserved Communities
- Cigna, Huntsville Hospital Health System Reach Agreement to Provide Value-Based Care to Medicare Advantage Customers in Northern Alabama
- Cigna Foundation Announces Availability Of $5 Million In Grants To Address Children's Mental Health, Childhood Hunger