Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy Receives VIPPS Reaccreditation
- Demonstrates pharmacy's commitment to health and safety
- Gives confidence customer will receive safe and effective medications
- Provides assurance of access to consultations with pharmacists
BLOOMFIELD, Conn., July 22, 2011 - Cigna is pleased to announce that Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy has been reaccredited with the VIPPS accreditation by the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP). VIPPS (Verified Internet Pharmacy Practice Sites) accreditation shows consumers that the site is licensed in good standing by the boards of pharmacy and provides confidence that they will receive safe, effective medications.
"VIPPS accreditation demonstrates to our customers that Cigna is committed to patient health and safety," said Lenore Kelley, RPh, chief pharmacy officer for Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy. "Cigna customers have access to quality programs to improve their health and lower over-all medical costs."
To ensure public health, VIPPS accreditation verifies that a pharmacy that offers prescription services over the Internet complies with the licensing and survey requirements of its state of origin and each state to which it dispenses pharmaceuticals. VIPPS-accredited pharmacies meet nationally endorsed standards of pharmacy practice, demonstrating compliance with standards of privacy, authentication and security of prescriptions, adherence to quality assurance policies, and providing meaningful consultation between patients and pharmacists.
Through the VIPPS process, NABP has reviewed nearly 8,000 pharmacy websites - with only 4% of those online sites appearing to be in compliance with pharmacy laws and practice standards, potentially putting their customers at risk. VIPPS accreditation ensures that an Internet pharmacy is a bona fide pharmacy, providing individuals with quality care.
Only VIPPS accredited pharmacies may display the VIPPS Seal on their pharmacy websites. The seal is a key benchmark for consumers to measure the quality of a pharmacy's practices. By clicking on the VIPPS Seal, individuals are able to access verified information about that pharmacy.
Cigna (NYSE: CI) is a global health service and financial company dedicated to helping people improve their health, well-being and sense of security. Cigna Corporation's operating subsidiaries in the United States provide an integrated suite of health services, such as medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy and vision care benefits, as well as group life, accident and disability insurance. Cigna offers products and services in 29 countries and jurisdictions and has more than 66 million customer relationships throughout the world. All products and services are provided exclusively by such operating subsidiaries and not by Cigna Corporation. Such operating subsidiaries include Life Insurance Company of North America, Cigna Life Insurance Company of New York, and Connecticut General Life Insurance Company. To learn more about Cigna, visit www.cigna.com. To sign up for email alerts or an RSS feed of company news, log on to http://www.cigna.com/newsroom/rss. Also, follow us on Twitter at @cigna, visit Cigna's YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/cigna and listen to Cigna's podcast series with healthy tips and information at http://www.cigna.com/podcasts or by searching "Cigna" in iTunes.
Other articles in News Releases:
- Cigna Employees Kick Off $25 Million Healthier Kids For Our Future Initiative By Combatting Childhood Hunger Globally
- Cigna Corporation’s Fourth Quarter 2018 Earnings Release Details
- Cigna Brings Together Queen Latifah, Nick Jonas and Ted Danson to Encourage Everyone to Take Control of Both Their Physical and Emotional Health
- Cigna Statement on the Passing of Jim Rogers, Former Duke Energy CEO, and Cigna Board Member
- Cigna Completes Combination with Express Scripts, Establishing a Blueprint to Transform the Health Care System
- Cigna Corporation Announces Appearance at the 37th Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference