Cigna Names Nicole S. Jones as General Counsel
- Nicole S. Jones is rejoining Cigna from Lincoln Financial.
- Carol Ann Petren to retire after five years of dedicated service to Cigna.
PHILADELPHIA & BLOOMFIELD, Conn., May 04, 2011 - Cigna (NYSE: CI) today announced that Nicole S. Jones, currently senior vice president and general counsel for Lincoln Financial, will succeed Carol Ann Petren as Cigna's general counsel, effective June 6. Jones is returning to Cigna, where she served from 2006 to 2010 as deputy general counsel, corporate secretary, and chief counsel of domestic health service, securities and investment law.
"We will all benefit from Nicole's business leadership, legal expertise, and experience with Cigna and our industry as she steps into the general counsel role," said Chief Executive Officer David M. Cordani. "Nicole played an important role in developing Cigna's legal team. She earned the respect of fellow team members and business partners across the company, and we welcome her back."
Prior to working at Cigna, Jones held increasingly responsible leadership roles in corporate law departments at Johnson & Johnson, MCI, Inc. and International Paper Company. She earned a juris doctor degree from New York University and graduated cum laude with her bachelor's degree from Fordham University.
Jones will be based in Bloomfield. Petren and Jones will work together along with the Cigna legal and public affairs leadership team to deliver a seamless transition.
"As we welcome Nicole, we also say farewell to Carol, under whose leadership, and counsel, Cigna has benefited greatly," Cordani said. "Carol helped advance our industry position to become a leading global health service company and guided our legal department during a time of significant change. I thank Carol for her dedicated service to Cigna and her many accomplishments on our behalf."
Cigna (NYSE: CI) is a global health service and financial company dedicated to helping people improve their health, well-being and sense of security. Cigna Corporation's operating subsidiaries in the United States provide an integrated suite of health services, such as medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy and vision care benefits, as well as group life, accident and disability insurance. Cigna offers products and services in 29 countries and jurisdictions and has approximately 65 million customer relationships throughout the world. All products and services are provided exclusively by such operating subsidiaries and not by Cigna Corporation. Such operating subsidiaries include Life Insurance Company of North America, Cigna Life Insurance Company of New York, and Connecticut General Life Insurance Company. To learn more about Cigna, visit www.cigna.com. To sign up for email alerts or an RSS feed of company news, log on to http://www.cigna.com/newsroom/rss. Also, follow us on Twitter at @cigna, visit Cigna's YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/cigna and listen to Cigna's podcast series with healthy tips and information at http://www.cigna.com/podcasts or by searching "Cigna" in iTunes.
Other articles in News Releases:
- Cigna Waives Customer Cost-Sharing For COVID-19 Treatment And Deploys Clinical Teams To Increase Virtual Care Capacity
- Cigna Makes It Easier For Hospitals To Focus On COVID-19 By Helping Accelerate Patient Transfers
- Cigna Expands Benefits To Support And Protect Its Workforce In Response To COVID-19
- Cigna Corporation Announces Pricing Terms of Tender Offers for up to $1.45 billion in Aggregate Principal Amount of Outstanding Notes
- Cigna Corporation Announces Early Results of Tender Offers for up to $1.45 billion in Aggregate Principal Amount of Outstanding Notes
- Cigna Takes Additional Actions To Protect Customers And Communities Against COVID-19