Cigna Names Nicole S. Jones as General Counsel
- Nicole S. Jones is rejoining Cigna from Lincoln Financial.
- Carol Ann Petren to retire after five years of dedicated service to Cigna.
PHILADELPHIA & BLOOMFIELD, Conn., May 04, 2011 - Cigna (NYSE: CI) today announced that Nicole S. Jones, currently senior vice president and general counsel for Lincoln Financial, will succeed Carol Ann Petren as Cigna's general counsel, effective June 6. Jones is returning to Cigna, where she served from 2006 to 2010 as deputy general counsel, corporate secretary, and chief counsel of domestic health service, securities and investment law.
"We will all benefit from Nicole's business leadership, legal expertise, and experience with Cigna and our industry as she steps into the general counsel role," said Chief Executive Officer David M. Cordani. "Nicole played an important role in developing Cigna's legal team. She earned the respect of fellow team members and business partners across the company, and we welcome her back."
Prior to working at Cigna, Jones held increasingly responsible leadership roles in corporate law departments at Johnson & Johnson, MCI, Inc. and International Paper Company. She earned a juris doctor degree from New York University and graduated cum laude with her bachelor's degree from Fordham University.
Jones will be based in Bloomfield. Petren and Jones will work together along with the Cigna legal and public affairs leadership team to deliver a seamless transition.
"As we welcome Nicole, we also say farewell to Carol, under whose leadership, and counsel, Cigna has benefited greatly," Cordani said. "Carol helped advance our industry position to become a leading global health service company and guided our legal department during a time of significant change. I thank Carol for her dedicated service to Cigna and her many accomplishments on our behalf."
Cigna (NYSE: CI) is a global health service and financial company dedicated to helping people improve their health, well-being and sense of security. Cigna Corporation's operating subsidiaries in the United States provide an integrated suite of health services, such as medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy and vision care benefits, as well as group life, accident and disability insurance. Cigna offers products and services in 29 countries and jurisdictions and has approximately 65 million customer relationships throughout the world. All products and services are provided exclusively by such operating subsidiaries and not by Cigna Corporation. Such operating subsidiaries include Life Insurance Company of North America, Cigna Life Insurance Company of New York, and Connecticut General Life Insurance Company. To learn more about Cigna, visit www.cigna.com. To sign up for email alerts or an RSS feed of company news, log on to http://www.cigna.com/newsroom/rss. Also, follow us on Twitter at @cigna, visit Cigna's YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/cigna and listen to Cigna's podcast series with healthy tips and information at http://www.cigna.com/podcasts or by searching "Cigna" in iTunes.
Other articles in News Releases:
- Cigna Employees Kick Off $25 Million Healthier Kids For Our Future Initiative By Combatting Childhood Hunger Globally
- Cigna Corporation’s Fourth Quarter 2018 Earnings Release Details
- Cigna Brings Together Queen Latifah, Nick Jonas and Ted Danson to Encourage Everyone to Take Control of Both Their Physical and Emotional Health
- Cigna Statement on the Passing of Jim Rogers, Former Duke Energy CEO, and Cigna Board Member
- Cigna Completes Combination with Express Scripts, Establishing a Blueprint to Transform the Health Care System
- Cigna Corporation Announces Appearance at the 37th Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference