Clearly the Best: Cigna Earns ClearMark Award from The Center for Plain Language
- Cigna's Explanation of Benefits earns another distinction; now also "most improved"
- The Center for Plain Language competition included over 80 entries
BLOOMFIELD, Conn., May 10, 2011 - The conversion of the Cigna (NYSE:CI) Explanation of Benefits from an arcane and opaque insurance-ese document, into a simple, clear, consumer-friendly receipt earned the global health service company the Center for Plain Language ClearMark award for excellence in the "most improved private sector document" category.
More than 80 government agencies and private businesses competed for this year's Center for Plain Language ClearMark awards.
"The 'before' and 'after' versions of Cigna's explanation of healthcare benefits were like night and day: information in the revised version is laid out very clearly; its audience and purpose are clear; and the document is far superior to the original," said Annetta Cheek, Ph.D., Chair, Board of Directors, Center for Plain Language.
"We're focused on being a customer-centric culture - across all of our business lines and interactions," says Cigna Customer Experience Officer Ingrid Lindberg. "Every call, every conversation, every time we touch someone - the customer's needs must be at the center of our every interaction."
Changes Cigna has made include a complete revamping of key communications materials, launch of a "Let's Be Clear" communications campaign and instituting the first and only 7/24/365 call centers in the health service industry.
"By changing our words, documents and service model, we provide something that people can easily understand and trust; and that helps enable us to meet our goals of improving the health, well-being and sense of security of the people and communities we serve," Lindberg said.
Notably, Cigna's Explanation of Benefits (EOB) has also recently received DALBAR, Inc.'s "Excellent" designation for clarity, content, and design. In addition Cigna International Expatriate Benefits announced the launch of its new EOB, which is modeled after Cigna's U.S. EOB.
Cigna (NYSE: CI) is a global health service and financial company dedicated to helping people improve their health, well-being and sense of security. Cigna Corporation's operating subsidiaries in the United States provide an integrated suite of health services, such as medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy and vision care benefits, as well as group life, accident and disability insurance. Cigna offers products and services in 29 countries and jurisdictions and has approximately 65 million customer relationships throughout the world. All products and services are provided exclusively by such operating subsidiaries and not by Cigna Corporation. Such operating subsidiaries include Life Insurance Company of North America, Cigna Life Insurance Company of New York, and Connecticut General Life Insurance Company. To learn more about Cigna, visit www.cigna.com. To sign up for email alerts or an RSS feed of company news, log on to http://www.cigna.com/newsroom/rss. Also, follow us on Twitter at @cigna, visit Cigna's YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/cigna and listen to Cigna's podcast series with healthy tips and information at http://www.cigna.com/podcasts or by searching "Cigna" in iTunes.
Other articles in News Releases:
- Cigna Waives Customer Cost-Sharing For COVID-19 Treatment And Deploys Clinical Teams To Increase Virtual Care Capacity
- Cigna Makes It Easier For Hospitals To Focus On COVID-19 By Helping Accelerate Patient Transfers
- Cigna Expands Benefits To Support And Protect Its Workforce In Response To COVID-19
- Cigna Corporation Announces Pricing Terms of Tender Offers for up to $1.45 billion in Aggregate Principal Amount of Outstanding Notes
- Cigna Corporation Announces Early Results of Tender Offers for up to $1.45 billion in Aggregate Principal Amount of Outstanding Notes
- Cigna Takes Additional Actions To Protect Customers And Communities Against COVID-19