Cigna Extends Assistance to New Jersey, New York Residents Impacted by Hurricane Sandy
- Refilling prescriptions
- Waiving referral, hospital admission requirements
- Paying out-of-network claims at in-network rates
- Expanding telephone helpline
- Donating more than $100,000 to Red Cross
BLOOMFIELD, Conn., November 06, 2012 - Global health service company Cigna (NYSE:CI) is extending a number of temporary policy changes to assist people in New Jersey and New York impacted by Hurricane Sandy. These temporary policy changes, originally scheduled to expire on Sunday, Nov. 4, have been extended to run through Sunday, Nov. 11.
Retroactive to Monday, October 29, for services incurred from that date through Sunday, November 11, 2012, Cigna is:
- Allowing its New Jersey and New York customers to refill prescriptions even if it would normally be too soon for a refill
- Waiving all pre-certification, referral and hospital admission requirements
- Paying claims for out-of-network services at in-network rates
- Expanding its 24x7 telephone help line to provide personal assistance and support for all residents affected by the hurricane. Phone lines are staffed with qualified clinicians who are available to speak with people about how to cope with loss, anxiety, stress or other issues resulting from the hurricane. The help line can be reached at 866-912-1687. Cigna also has an online resource center with additional information about disaster resources at http://apps.cignabehavioral.com/web/basicsite/consumer/consumer.jsp.
"Cigna remains committed to helping people get the best possible health care and stay on their medications through the aftermath of this disaster," said Susan Gaca, Cigna's chief nursing officer and director of emergency response. "We believe that extending these temporary policy changes through November 11 will make a big difference to many people in New Jersey and New York, two of the states affected most by Hurricane Sandy."
Additionally, Cigna and its employees have already committed more than $110,000 to the American Red Cross to address Hurricane Sandy relief efforts, including an immediate $50,000 Cigna Foundation grant and a 1:1 special match of employee gifts. As of Nov. 6, employee donations totaled more than $31,000.
Customers with questions or concerns are encouraged to call the customer service phone number on their Cigna ID card or Cigna's nationwide customer service telephone number at 1-800-Cigna24 (1-800-244-6224). Customer service representatives are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week for assistance.
Cigna Corporation (NYSE: CI) is a global health service company dedicated to helping people improve their health, well-being and sense of security. All products and services are provided exclusively by or through operating subsidiaries of Cigna Corporation, including Connecticut General Life Insurance Company, Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company, Life Insurance Company of North America and Cigna Life Insurance Company of New York. Such products and services include an integrated suite of health services, such as medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy, vision, supplemental benefits, and other related products including group life, accident and disability insurance. Cigna maintains sales capability in 30 countries and jurisdictions, and has approximately 71 million customer relationships throughout the world. To learn more about Cigna®, including links to follow us on Facebook or Twitter, visit www.cigna.com.
Other articles in News Releases:
- Cigna and the Cigna Foundation Help Improve Health and Well-being of Unpaid Family Caregivers in Massachusetts
- Cigna Names Vaishali Geib as Market Medical Executive for Mid-Atlantic
- Cigna and Cigna Foundation Committed to Support America’s Heroes
- Cigna’s Continued Momentum Drives Strong Third Quarter 2019 Results and Increased Revenue and Earnings Outlook
- Kimberly Ross Appointed to Cigna Board of Directors
- Cigna Foundation Puts Kids on Healthier Path by Combatting Childhood Hunger in St. Louis