Cigna to Provide Mentoring, Education and Health Benefits to Startup America Members
- First to provide health programs to Startup America members
- Offering mentoring opportunities with a global leader
- Designing educational series relevant to entrepreneurs
- Providing benefits to help startups attract employees and grow
BLOOMFIELD, Conn., October 25, 2012 - Cigna (NYSE:CI) today is sending a message to America's entrepreneurs: We want to work together to help you succeed and drive U.S. economic growth.
In a strong show of support for startup companies, Cigna is joining forces with the Startup America Partnership to provide mentoring opportunities, health and wellness education, and access to affordable health and dental plans for Startup America's 10,400 member companies. Cigna is the first health service company to work with Startup America's members.
"We know how important mentoring, education, and health insurance benefits are to startups, and we're excited to bring Cigna on board as a new partner to help our members," said Scott Case, CEO of the Startup America Partnership. "Cigna believes, as we do, that entrepreneurship is a core American value and critical to the country's long-term economic success."
Often, health coverage is too expensive for early stage companies to secure for their employees, which hinders startups in their hiring and growth efforts. This, in turn, poses a challenge to the U.S. economy, as new job growth over the past 30 years has come largely from these emerging companies.
"Cigna wants to do its part to support the entrepreneurial spirit that fuels our economy," said David Guilmette, president, Global Employer Segment. "As Cigna has grown and innovated over the years, we now have the opportunity to be at the forefront of helping young, promising companies do the same. The startup companies we help today are tomorrow's Fortune 500 companies."
Cigna's relationship with Startup America is a long-term commitment in three important areas:
- Education - Cigna will develop, at no charge, a health and wellness education program for the Startup America Learning Series. Topics will include health care reform, attracting talent and keeping employees healthy, creating affordable and alternative insurance solutions and funding options and choices.
- Exposure and Mentorship - Cigna will look for ways to meet, mentor and do business with startup companies. Selected entrepreneurs will receive mentoring from Cigna's leadership team. Entrepreneurs also will have an opportunity to present ideas to Cigna's leadership for future potential strategic partnerships or investments.
- Products and Services - Cigna will offer Startup America members its existing medical and dental offerings that include access to a national network of health care professionals, a 24/7 nurse information line and customer support, and 100 percent coverage for preventive care services. Companies will be able to learn more or enroll in their benefits from a link on the Startup America Partnership website, which points to www.cigna.com/Startup
Most important, Cigna is exploring the world of entrepreneurship, sharing innovative ideas to increase entrepreneurs' chances of success. "Our goal is to become a true partner in health and wellness to startup companies," Guilmette said, "and in so doing, to contribute to their success and the success of the U.S. economy."
To learn more about Cigna's commitment to Startup America, visit www.cigna.com/Startup
Cigna Corporation (NYSE: CI) is a global health service company dedicated to helping people improve their health, well-being and sense of security. All products and services are provided by or through operating subsidiaries of Cigna Corporation, including Connecticut General Life Insurance Company, Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company, Life Insurance Company of North America and Cigna Life Insurance Company of New York. Such products and services include an integrated suite of health services, such as medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy, vision care and supplemental benefits, and other related products including group disability, life, and accident coverage. Cigna has sales capability in 30 countries and jurisdictions, with approximately 70 million customer relationships throughout the world. To learn more about Cigna®, including links to follow us on Facebook or Twitter, visit www.cigna.com.
About the Startup America Partnership
The Startup America Partnership is a growing national movement of thousands of founders, experts and resources providing startups access to the corporations, investors, and services they need to grow. Launched at the White House in early 2011, the Partnership brings together startups and local champions from around the country focused on creating successful networks for young, high-growth companies to thrive. AOL co-founder Steve Case chairs the Partnership and the Kauffman and Case Foundations are its founding partners. American Airlines, American Express OPEN, Dell Inc., Intuit Inc., Microsoft and NYSE Euronext are corporate sponsors. For more information on the Partnership, visit www.s.co and follow us at www.twitter.com/startupamerica and www.facebook.com/startupamerica
Other articles in News Releases:
- Cigna Waives Customer Cost-Sharing For COVID-19 Treatment And Deploys Clinical Teams To Increase Virtual Care Capacity
- Cigna Makes It Easier For Hospitals To Focus On COVID-19 By Helping Accelerate Patient Transfers
- Cigna Expands Benefits To Support And Protect Its Workforce In Response To COVID-19
- Cigna Corporation Announces Pricing Terms of Tender Offers for up to $1.45 billion in Aggregate Principal Amount of Outstanding Notes
- Cigna Corporation Announces Early Results of Tender Offers for up to $1.45 billion in Aggregate Principal Amount of Outstanding Notes
- Cigna Takes Additional Actions To Protect Customers And Communities Against COVID-19