Cigna's Gains on Health Plan Quality Report Card Reflect Improved Health and Well-being of Customers
- Cigna had year-over-year improvements in more than 62 percent of measures tracked
- Exceeded national average and national competitors on dozens of measures
- Company's clinical initiatives focused on improved quality and better health outcomes
BLOOMFIELD, Conn., October 30, 2012 - Data released today by the independent non-profit National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) show that Cigna plans continue to improve health care quality. Cigna said its plans had year-over-year improvements in more than 62 percent of measures that NCQA tracked. For example, gains included more adherence to prescribed medications and more children and adolescents receiving recommended vaccinations.
Cigna's analysis of the data also indicates that it continues to exceed the national average and the averages of its national competitors in dozens of quality measures.
"Every day we focus on quality because it's fundamental to helping our customers improve their health and well-being," said Dr. Dick Salmon, Cigna's national medical director for performance measurement and improvement. "When quality measures are followed - for example, when people get the screenings and tests they need, or refill their prescriptions on time - individuals have a better chance at staying healthy. And when people stay healthy, that leads to lower health care costs. That's why Cigna is committed to measuring and improving the quality of our programs continually and reporting those results to the public."
According to Salmon, quality plays a key role in the company's 42 collaborative accountable care programs, which are focused on achieving the "triple aim" of improved quality, lower medical costs and better patient satisfaction.
Cigna's quality-focused clinical initiatives target specific populations and encourage people to get important follow-up care or preventive screenings. Some of these programs include:
- An award-winning colon cancer screening program that targets people ages 50 to 64 who have not had a screening and encourages them to get screened.
- An industry recognized childhood immunization program that reminds parents of infants and toddlers about important vaccination milestones.
- Well woman initiatives that reinforce the importance of routine breast and cervical cancer screening.
Salmon also noted that helping people manage chronic health conditions is directly related to health care quality. Your Health First, Cigna's chronic condition management program, takes a unique approach to help people with ongoing conditions (such as asthma, diabetes, depression, weight complications) better manage their health. This behavioral-based program provides comprehensive health management tailored to each individual and it's delivered through the continuous, personalized support of a health advocate.
Cigna Corporation (NYSE: CI) is a global health service company dedicated to helping people improve their health, well-being and sense of security. All products and services are provided exclusively by or through operating subsidiaries of Cigna Corporation, including Connecticut General Life Insurance Company, Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company, Life Insurance Company of North America and Cigna Life Insurance Company of New York. Such products and services include an integrated suite of health services, such as medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy, vision, supplemental benefits, and other related products including group life, accident and disability insurance. Cigna maintains sales capability in 30 countries and jurisdictions, and has approximately 71 million customer relationships throughout the world. To learn more about Cigna®, including links to follow us on Facebook or Twitter, visit www.cigna.com.
Other articles in News Releases:
- Cigna Collaborates with Annum Health to Introduce a Digital Health Solution to Help People Reduce Alcohol Consumption
- Cigna Helps Customers Affected by California Wildfires, Cigna Foundation Donates $25,000 to the American Red Cross for Recovery
- Cigna Names Jim Hickey as Market President for South Texas Commercial Health Plans
- Cigna Furthers Commitment to Promote Mental Well-Being by Collaborating With Happify Health and Prevail Health to Offer New Digital Tools
- New Cigna Pregnancy App Enables Improved Health and Lower Costs For Pregnant Women
- Cigna Reports Strong Third Quarter 2018 Results, Raises Outlook