Brian Urban Selected as Cigna 2013 Volunteer of the Year
- Volunteerism prompted by tragic loss
- Award reflects volunteerism culture within Cigna
BLOOMFIELD, Conn., July 15, 2013 - Brian Urban, a health educator and case management specialist from Baldwin, Penn., has been named Cigna's (NYSE: CI) Volunteer of the Year for his work with the Obediah Cole Prostate Cancer Foundation in Pittsburgh, Penn.
Obediah Cole provides free prostate cancer screenings and promotes early detection, education, awareness and support for those with the disease. It also promotes healthy living, nutrition, and exercise.
Urban's passion for the cause is rooted in the tragic loss of his father to prostate cancer in 2005, when his dad was just 55 years old. Brian Urban was 19 years old at the time.
"My dad was so young when he died, and his death could have been prevented. Through my work with Obediah Cole promoting early detection and prevention, I honor his legacy by helping others avoid losing their loved ones," Urban said. "I'm grateful to Cigna for encouraging the spirit of volunteerism and supporting me in my efforts with the Cole Foundation."
Urban, who serves as the organization's Health Promotion Coordinator, was singled out for both his creative leadership and his effectiveness in bringing awareness and prostate health services to a wide variety of people within the Pittsburgh community.
"Brian's valuable contributions to Obediah Cole help us offer free prostate cancer screenings to thousands of men," said Jerry Livingston, vice president of Obediah Cole Prostate Cancer Foundation. "His contributions, energy, and ideas are critical to the success we have had. To me Brian is the future leadership of the organization."
Brian will be honored with a $5,000 donation to Obediah Cole Prostate Cancer Foundation from the Cigna Foundation and a $2,500 personal award from Cigna, which he will receive at a July 18 luncheon with Cigna CEO David Cordani at the company's Bloomfield, Conn. headquarters.
The Cigna Volunteer of the Year is chosen by the Cigna Foundation, with input from the Points of Light Hands on Network, from twelve volunteers recognized monthly throughout the year.
About Cigna and the Cigna Foundation
The Cigna Foundation is a private foundation funded by contributions from Cigna Corporation (NYSE: CI) and its subsidiaries. The Cigna Foundation supports organizations sharing its commitment to enhancing the health of individuals and families, and the well-being of their communities, with a special focus on those communities where Cigna employees live and work. To learn more about Cigna®, including links to follow us on Facebook or Twitter, visit www.cigna.com.
Other articles in News Releases:
- Cigna Collaborates with Annum Health to Introduce a Digital Health Solution to Help People Reduce Alcohol Consumption
- Cigna Helps Customers Affected by California Wildfires, Cigna Foundation Donates $25,000 to the American Red Cross for Recovery
- Cigna Names Jim Hickey as Market President for South Texas Commercial Health Plans
- Cigna Furthers Commitment to Promote Mental Well-Being by Collaborating With Happify Health and Prevail Health to Offer New Digital Tools
- New Cigna Pregnancy App Enables Improved Health and Lower Costs For Pregnant Women
- Cigna Reports Strong Third Quarter 2018 Results, Raises Outlook