Brian Urban Selected as Cigna 2013 Volunteer of the Year
- Volunteerism prompted by tragic loss
- Award reflects volunteerism culture within Cigna
BLOOMFIELD, Conn., July 15, 2013 - Brian Urban, a health educator and case management specialist from Baldwin, Penn., has been named Cigna's (NYSE: CI) Volunteer of the Year for his work with the Obediah Cole Prostate Cancer Foundation in Pittsburgh, Penn.
Obediah Cole provides free prostate cancer screenings and promotes early detection, education, awareness and support for those with the disease. It also promotes healthy living, nutrition, and exercise.
Urban's passion for the cause is rooted in the tragic loss of his father to prostate cancer in 2005, when his dad was just 55 years old. Brian Urban was 19 years old at the time.
"My dad was so young when he died, and his death could have been prevented. Through my work with Obediah Cole promoting early detection and prevention, I honor his legacy by helping others avoid losing their loved ones," Urban said. "I'm grateful to Cigna for encouraging the spirit of volunteerism and supporting me in my efforts with the Cole Foundation."
Urban, who serves as the organization's Health Promotion Coordinator, was singled out for both his creative leadership and his effectiveness in bringing awareness and prostate health services to a wide variety of people within the Pittsburgh community.
"Brian's valuable contributions to Obediah Cole help us offer free prostate cancer screenings to thousands of men," said Jerry Livingston, vice president of Obediah Cole Prostate Cancer Foundation. "His contributions, energy, and ideas are critical to the success we have had. To me Brian is the future leadership of the organization."
Brian will be honored with a $5,000 donation to Obediah Cole Prostate Cancer Foundation from the Cigna Foundation and a $2,500 personal award from Cigna, which he will receive at a July 18 luncheon with Cigna CEO David Cordani at the company's Bloomfield, Conn. headquarters.
The Cigna Volunteer of the Year is chosen by the Cigna Foundation, with input from the Points of Light Hands on Network, from twelve volunteers recognized monthly throughout the year.
About Cigna and the Cigna Foundation
The Cigna Foundation is a private foundation funded by contributions from Cigna Corporation (NYSE: CI) and its subsidiaries. The Cigna Foundation supports organizations sharing its commitment to enhancing the health of individuals and families, and the well-being of their communities, with a special focus on those communities where Cigna employees live and work. To learn more about Cigna®, including links to follow us on Facebook or Twitter, visit www.cigna.com.
Other articles in News Releases:
- Cigna + Oscar Helps Small Business Owners who Recognize that a Healthy Workforce is the Key to a Vibrant Business in COVID-19 Environment
- Priority Health and Cigna Form Strategic Alliance to Make Quality Health Care More Affordable and Accessible for Michigan Employers and Customers
- Cigna Donates $75,000 to the City of Memphis to Fund COVID-19 Testing for Underserved Communities
- Cigna, Huntsville Hospital Health System Reach Agreement to Provide Value-Based Care to Medicare Advantage Customers in Northern Alabama
- Cigna Foundation Announces Availability Of $5 Million In Grants To Address Children's Mental Health, Childhood Hunger
- Cigna Expands and Extends Its COVID-19 Relief Efforts for Medicare Advantage and Individual and Family Plans