Cigna Assists People Affected by Oklahoma Tornado
- Waives restrictions on prescription refills
- Opens 24x7 telephone help line to support all affected residents
- Cigna Foundation makes $25,000 grant to Red Cross, company matches employee contributions
BLOOMFIELD, Conn., May 21, 2013 - Global health service company Cigna (NYSE: CI) is taking temporary steps to assist people impacted by a devastating tornado in Oklahoma.
Effective immediately through May 27, in the area affected, Cigna is:
- Allowing its customers to refill prescriptions even if it would normally be too soon for a refill
- Expanding the company's 24x7 telephone help line to provide personal assistance and support for all residents affected by the tornado. Phone lines are staffed with qualified clinicians who are available to speak with people about how to cope with loss, anxiety, stress or other issues resulting from the tornado. The help line can be reached at 866.912.1687.
In addition, the Cigna Foundation is making an immediate grant of $25,000 to the Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund, and will also match Cigna employee donations to the Red Cross.
"We're deeply saddened by the loss of life and devastation in Oklahoma and recognize that this disaster is creating terrible disruptions in people's lives," said Susan Gaca, Cigna's chief nursing officer and director of emergency response. "People experiencing a disaster such as this one should not have to worry about having access to the medications they need, and they need access to resources that can help them cope. We're committed to taking steps that can help."
Customers with questions or concerns are encouraged to call the customer service phone number on their Cigna ID card or Cigna's nationwide customer service telephone number at 1.800.Cigna24 (1.800.244.6224). Customer service representatives are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week for assistance.
Cigna also offers the following helpful resources on physical, mental, and emotional self-care during turbulent times.
Disaster Help and Recovery Information
Managing Traumatic Stress - After the Tornadoes
Managing Traumatic Stress - Tips for recovering from disasters and other traumatic events
Tornadoes, hurricanes and Children
Disaster Assistance Resources
After a Disaster: Self-Care Strategies
After a Disaster: Supporting Others
After a Disaster: Helping Children Cope
Strategies For Coping With Disaster
Tips for Survivors of a Traumatic Event: What to Expect in Your Personal, Family, Work, and Financial Life
Tornadoes: A guide to before, during and after - FEMA
Technology Tips: Staying Connected During a Disaster
Cigna Corporation (NYSE: CI) is a global health service company dedicated to helping people improve their health, well-being and sense of security. All products and services are provided exclusively by or through operating subsidiaries of Cigna Corporation, including Connecticut General Life Insurance Company, Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company, Life Insurance Company of North America and Cigna Life Insurance Company of New York. Such products and services include an integrated suite of health services, such as medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy, vision, supplemental benefits, and other related products including group life, accident and disability insurance. Cigna maintains sales capability in 30 countries and jurisdictions, and has approximately 78 million customer relationships throughout the world. To learn more about Cigna®, including links to follow us on Facebook or Twitter, visit www.cigna.com.
About Cigna and the Cigna Foundation
The Cigna Foundation is a private foundation funded by contributions from Cigna Corporation and its subsidiaries. The Cigna Foundation supports organizations sharing its commitment to enhancing the health of individuals and families, and the well-being of their communities, with a special focus on those communities where Cigna employees live and work.
Other articles in News Releases:
- Cigna Takes Action To Combat The Rise Of Loneliness And Improve Mental Wellness In America
- Cigna Named Among “Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality” For Eighth Year in a Row
- Cigna Corporation's Fourth Quarter 2019 Earnings Release Details
- Cigna Adds Crozer-Keystone Health System to its Medicare Network in Pennsylvania
- Cigna And Oscar Announce Strategic Partnership To Offer Differentiated Health Solutions To Small Businesses In Select U.S. Markets
- Cigna Ventures Invests in Two Breakthrough Companies to Accelerate Digital Health Innovation and Connect Customers to Care Anywhere, Anytime