Cigna Launches New Podcast, Stress and Oral Health, To Help at Tax Time
- Stress and anxiety can cause teeth grinding, dull headaches, jaw soreness
- 6 minute podcast illustrates the mind-mouth-body connection
BLOOMFIELD, Conn., April 10, 2013 - You think you are managing life's stresses, now add the looming tax deadline and is it any wonder you have nagging headaches, maybe a cold sore - and is that an ear ache you're feeling? To help individuals understand how stress impacts their oral health Cigna (NYSE: CI) has launched a new audio podcast on its website, www.cigna.com. The listening session helps individuals understand how stress and anxiety can affect oral health, not only at tax time, but throughout the year.
"It's widely accepted that people can feel stress in the body, and it is important to understand how stress affects oral health," said Dr. Miles Hall, dental director for Cigna. "An individual may not be aware they are clenching their teeth or grinding them at night, and that could be a direct result of how they manage - or don't manage - stresses during the day." Dr. Hall shares with listeners that pain near their ear that might feel like an ear ache could actually be temporomandibular joint (TMJ) pain caused by clenching or grinding, or other reasons.
"Individuals should visit their dental care professional who can evaluate the current state of their oral health. The dentist can also make recommendations to help ease the symptoms of stress in the mouth," said Dr. Hall. "And if a person's stress is made worse at the thought of going to the dentist they can have a consultation with the dentist first to make the dentist aware of their fears."
In addition to dental podcasts on www.cigna.com, Cigna's dental DHMO customers can find real-time information about their dental benefits, online tools such as cavity and gum disease risk assessments, and dental health articles and videos from WebMD at myCigna.com.
Cigna Corporation (NYSE: CI) is a global health service company dedicated to helping people improve their health, well-being and sense of security. All products and services are provided exclusively by or through operating subsidiaries of Cigna Corporation, including Connecticut General Life Insurance Company, Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company, Life Insurance Company of North America and Cigna Life Insurance Company of New York. Such products and services include an integrated suite of health services, such as medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy, vision, supplemental benefits, and other related products including group life, accident and disability insurance. Cigna maintains sales capability in 30 countries and jurisdictions, and has approximately 78 million customer relationships throughout the world. To learn more about Cigna®, including links to follow us on Facebook or Twitter, visit www.cigna.com.
Other articles in News Releases:
- Cigna Collaborates with Annum Health to Introduce a Digital Health Solution to Help People Reduce Alcohol Consumption
- Cigna Helps Customers Affected by California Wildfires, Cigna Foundation Donates $25,000 to the American Red Cross for Recovery
- Cigna Names Jim Hickey as Market President for South Texas Commercial Health Plans
- Cigna Furthers Commitment to Promote Mental Well-Being by Collaborating With Happify Health and Prevail Health to Offer New Digital Tools
- New Cigna Pregnancy App Enables Improved Health and Lower Costs For Pregnant Women
- Cigna Reports Strong Third Quarter 2018 Results, Raises Outlook