Cigna Launches New Podcast, Stress and Oral Health, To Help at Tax Time
- Stress and anxiety can cause teeth grinding, dull headaches, jaw soreness
- 6 minute podcast illustrates the mind-mouth-body connection
BLOOMFIELD, Conn., April 10, 2013 - You think you are managing life's stresses, now add the looming tax deadline and is it any wonder you have nagging headaches, maybe a cold sore - and is that an ear ache you're feeling? To help individuals understand how stress impacts their oral health Cigna (NYSE: CI) has launched a new audio podcast on its website, www.cigna.com. The listening session helps individuals understand how stress and anxiety can affect oral health, not only at tax time, but throughout the year.
"It's widely accepted that people can feel stress in the body, and it is important to understand how stress affects oral health," said Dr. Miles Hall, dental director for Cigna. "An individual may not be aware they are clenching their teeth or grinding them at night, and that could be a direct result of how they manage - or don't manage - stresses during the day." Dr. Hall shares with listeners that pain near their ear that might feel like an ear ache could actually be temporomandibular joint (TMJ) pain caused by clenching or grinding, or other reasons.
"Individuals should visit their dental care professional who can evaluate the current state of their oral health. The dentist can also make recommendations to help ease the symptoms of stress in the mouth," said Dr. Hall. "And if a person's stress is made worse at the thought of going to the dentist they can have a consultation with the dentist first to make the dentist aware of their fears."
In addition to dental podcasts on www.cigna.com, Cigna's dental DHMO customers can find real-time information about their dental benefits, online tools such as cavity and gum disease risk assessments, and dental health articles and videos from WebMD at myCigna.com.
Cigna Corporation (NYSE: CI) is a global health service company dedicated to helping people improve their health, well-being and sense of security. All products and services are provided exclusively by or through operating subsidiaries of Cigna Corporation, including Connecticut General Life Insurance Company, Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company, Life Insurance Company of North America and Cigna Life Insurance Company of New York. Such products and services include an integrated suite of health services, such as medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy, vision, supplemental benefits, and other related products including group life, accident and disability insurance. Cigna maintains sales capability in 30 countries and jurisdictions, and has approximately 78 million customer relationships throughout the world. To learn more about Cigna®, including links to follow us on Facebook or Twitter, visit www.cigna.com.
Other articles in News Releases:
- Cigna Takes Action To Combat The Rise Of Loneliness And Improve Mental Wellness In America
- Cigna Named Among “Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality” For Eighth Year in a Row
- Cigna Corporation's Fourth Quarter 2019 Earnings Release Details
- Cigna Adds Crozer-Keystone Health System to its Medicare Network in Pennsylvania
- Cigna And Oscar Announce Strategic Partnership To Offer Differentiated Health Solutions To Small Businesses In Select U.S. Markets
- Cigna Ventures Invests in Two Breakthrough Companies to Accelerate Digital Health Innovation and Connect Customers to Care Anywhere, Anytime