Cigna Scores 100% on Human Rights Campaign's Corporate Equality Index
- Company earns Best Places to Work for LGBT Equality
- Diversity provides insights to better address customer needs
BLOOMFIELD, Conn., December 10, 2013 - Cigna (NYSE: CI), a global health service leader, has scored a perfect 100 percent on the HRC's 2014 Corporate Equality Index (CEI) and has been recognized as one of the "Best Places to Work for LGBT Equality" by the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation.
Cigna is among 303 companies to achieve a perfect score.
"The diversity of our employee base is one reason Cigna is so accomplished at serving our customers. We respect and value our differences because they are good for our communities and for our company," said John Murabito, Executive Vice President of Human Resources and Services. "We're proud to provide an open and affirming workplace for all people."
Cigna's Go You brand philosophy acknowledges and values the differences that contribute to the potential of every individual. The company's various Colleague Resource Groups-employee networks representing key demographics-and its Health Disparities Council work to eliminate health disparities that affect so many population groups, including those within the LBGT community.
"When we talk about valuing diverse employees, we mean we actually tap their expertise for insights that allow us to better serve our customers. Our LGBTA [lesbian, gay, transsexual, bisexual and allies] Colleague Resource Group helps guide Cigna's engagement with our customers," said Rosanna Durruthy, Cigna's chief diversity officer. "We celebrate the individuality of our employees who enhance our ability to help those we serve with sensitivity to sexual orientation."
Cigna and the Cigna Foundation support LBGT non-profit charities including The Hetrick Martin Institute (HMI), Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network (GLSEN), Hartford Gay and Lesbian Health Collective/One Big Event, the Mautner Project, and others.
The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) is America's largest civil rights organization working to achieve lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender equality. The HRC's Corporate Equality Index analyzes and ranks large U.S. employers and their policies and practices pertinent to lesbian, bisexual and transgender employees.
Cigna Corporation (NYSE: CI) is a global health service company dedicated to helping people improve their health, well-being and sense of security. All products and services are provided exclusively by or through operating subsidiaries of Cigna Corporation, including Connecticut General Life Insurance Company, Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company, Life Insurance Company of North America and Cigna Life Insurance Company of New York. Such products and services include an integrated suite of health services, such as medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy, vision, supplemental benefits, and other related products including group life, accident and disability insurance. Cigna maintains sales capability in 30 countries and jurisdictions, and has more than 80 million customer relationships throughout the world. To learn more about Cigna®, including links to follow us on Facebook or Twitter, visit www.cigna.com.
Other articles in News Releases:
- Cigna + Oscar Helps Small Business Owners who Recognize that a Healthy Workforce is the Key to a Vibrant Business in COVID-19 Environment
- Priority Health and Cigna Form Strategic Alliance to Make Quality Health Care More Affordable and Accessible for Michigan Employers and Customers
- Cigna Donates $75,000 to the City of Memphis to Fund COVID-19 Testing for Underserved Communities
- Cigna, Huntsville Hospital Health System Reach Agreement to Provide Value-Based Care to Medicare Advantage Customers in Northern Alabama
- Cigna Foundation Announces Availability Of $5 Million In Grants To Address Children's Mental Health, Childhood Hunger
- Cigna Expands and Extends Its COVID-19 Relief Efforts for Medicare Advantage and Individual and Family Plans