Cigna to Offer Critical Illness Coverage as Part of Cigna's Individual and Family Plans Portfolio
- Cash Advantage® Critical Illness coverage will be offered through brokers in Colorado, Texas and Tennessee as of May 1, 2013
- This supplemental product can help protect individuals from unexpected medical expenses paying a lump sum cash benefit directly to the individual if diagnosed with one of the 15 illnesses outlined in the policy
BLOOMFIELD, Conn., May 03, 2013 - Even with medical insurance coverage, unexpected costs associated with a critical illness can put stress and strain on both personal lives and personal finances. Cigna Individual and Family Plans began sales on May 1, 2013 of its Cash Advantage Critical Illness product which will be marketed and administered through Cigna Supplemental Benefits division in Austin, TX. The product will be offered through brokers in Colorado, Texas and Tennessee.
"When someone learns they have a critical illness, the last thing they want to think about is how to handle the financial impact," said Dale Fratianne, Vice President of Sales with Cigna Individual and Family Plans. "This product is designed to help our customers pay for unexpected out-of-pocket costs when diagnosed with a critical illness. The plan pays the customer directly, so they can decide how they need to use the benefit whether it's for paying their deductible or medical debt, affording extra recovery time or any other unexpected expenses associated with being ill."
In 2009 in the U.S., 242,000 patients underwent a total of 416,000 coronary artery bypass procedures1 and the National Cancer Institute estimates that nearly 12 million Americans with a history of cancer were alive in January 2008.2 "Statistics show that advances in treating critical illnesses such as cancer, heart attack and strokes has greatly improved outcomes, but the financial strain on a patient and his or her family as a result of this illness is significant and can even impact the patient's recovery," explains David Chambers, Divisional Vice-President, Sales & Marketing. "When people feel established in terms of having a job, house and maybe children, they don't want to chance sacrificing all of that with the financial toll unexpected medical costs can take on a family budget. Cash Advantage Critical Illness offers them a sense of security knowing they will have extra cash to help provide for their needs should they be diagnosed with one of the critical illnesses covered in this plan."
To explore the full suite of Cigna's Individual and Family Plans available by state visit: http://www.cigna.com/individualsandfamilies/health-insurance-plans-states. To learn more about Cash Advantage Critical Illness please visit http://www.loyalamerican.com/SupplementalHealth/CashAdvantageCriticalIllness.aspx
Cigna Corporation (NYSE: CI) is a global health service company dedicated to helping people improve their health, well-being and sense of security. All products and services are provided by or through operating subsidiaries of Cigna Corporation, including Connecticut General Life Insurance Company, Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company, Life Insurance Company of North America and Cigna Life Insurance Company of New York. Such products and services include an integrated suite of health services, such as medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy, vision, supplemental benefits, and other related products including group life, accident and disability insurance. Cigna maintains sales capability in 30 countries and jurisdictions, and has approximately 78 million customer relationships throughout the world. To learn more about Cigna®, including links to follow us on Facebook or Twitter, visit www.cigna.com.
1 Circulation Journal of the American Heart Association, Heart Disease and Stroke Statistics-2012 Update, page e59.
2 American Cancer Society, Cancer Facts & Figures 2012, Page 1
Other articles in News Releases:
- Cigna Waives Customer Cost-Sharing For COVID-19 Treatment And Deploys Clinical Teams To Increase Virtual Care Capacity
- Cigna Makes It Easier For Hospitals To Focus On COVID-19 By Helping Accelerate Patient Transfers
- Cigna Expands Benefits To Support And Protect Its Workforce In Response To COVID-19
- Cigna Corporation Announces Pricing Terms of Tender Offers for up to $1.45 billion in Aggregate Principal Amount of Outstanding Notes
- Cigna Corporation Announces Early Results of Tender Offers for up to $1.45 billion in Aggregate Principal Amount of Outstanding Notes
- Cigna Takes Additional Actions To Protect Customers And Communities Against COVID-19