Cigna-HealthSpring and Cornerstone Health Care Announce New Agreement to Serve North Carolina Medicare Advantage Customers
- Shared vision of aligning incentives with quality care and outcomes to deliver superior customer experience and maintain affordability
- Collaborative treatment approach between payer and health care professionals includes extra clinical and administrative resources from Cigna-HealthSpring
- Customers may choose Cornerstone doctors during current Annual Enrollment Period
HIGH POINT, N.C., November 19, 2014 - Cigna-HealthSpring, a leading health service company serving Medicare and Medicaid customers, and Cornerstone Health Care, a physician-owned and led multi-disciplinary practice with more than 90 locations in communities throughout central North Carolina, have teamed up to deliver in-network services for Cigna-HealthSpring's Medicare Advantage customers. The agreement, which became effective November 1, will provide better access to high quality health care for Cigna-HealthSpring customers in Catawba, Davidson, Forsyth and Rowan counties. Cornerstone Health Care has also been part of the Cigna Collaborative Care initiative serving commercial customers since 2012.
"We're excited to partner with Cornerstone Health Care to provide better health care access and choice for our North Carolina customers," said Andrew Reeves, market manager for Cigna-HealthSpring in Georgia and The Carolinas. "We have a shared vision of working to create a health care system that rewards quality care and results, and focuses on prevention and care coordination rather than the industry norm of fee-for-service and reactive medicine. Our proven approach of collaborating with health care professionals establishes a seamless continuum of care and invests in the right resources that yield improved patient outcomes, lower costs and a better experience for all parties involved. I'm confident that together we will deliver improved and affordable health care to our North Carolina customers."
Through its physician engagement model, Cigna-HealthSpring has pioneered ideas like pay-for-performance and focused on working alongside health care professionals to tailor incentives and solutions for the unique Medicare population. Results show that Cigna-HealthSpring customers are more likely than other Medicare beneficiaries to receive the preventive health care they need to stay healthy. Compared to other Medicare beneficiaries, Cigna-HealthSpring customers are:*
- 25 percent more likely to receive a colonoscopy, lowering the risk for colorectal cancer
- 21 percent more likely to receive proper care for hypertension control, lowering the risk for high blood pressure
- 15 percent more likely to receive a mammogram for female customers, lowering the risk for breast cancer
"Cigna-HealthSpring's like-minded approach to high quality, preventive care is a perfect fit for Cornerstone," said Steffany Whiting, Marketing and Business Development Officer of Cornerstone Health Care. "Their additional resources will complement our patient-centered medical home model and our shared focus on population health management. These will be especially valuable for our Medicare customers who often need extra help managing chronic illnesses."
Cigna-HealthSpring has long been a leader serving Medicare Advantage customers and while its service in The Carolinas just began in January 2014, it's emerging as a popular choice. Medicare beneficiaries can enroll in Cigna-HealthSpring 2015 plans during the annual enrollment period, which began October 15 and ends December 7. Plan details and more are available at www.cignahealthspring.com.
*Results are for year 2012 and reflect the percentage difference between Cigna-HealthSpring customers enrolled in our Partnership for Quality program and Standards of Healthcare data which are based on HMO Medicare customer data collected by the NCQA.
Cigna-HealthSpring, a Cigna company (NYSE:CI), is one of the country's leading health plans focused on delivering care to the senior population, predominately through Medicare Advantage and other Medicare and Medicaid products. Based in Nashville, Tennessee, Cigna-HealthSpring offers a national stand-alone prescription drug plan and operates health plans in Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Washington, D.C. For more information, visit www.cignahealthspring.com.
About Cornerstone Health Care
One of the fastest growing physician groups in the Southeast, Cornerstone is a physician-owned and led multi-disciplinary practice of more than 375 physicians and mid-level health professionals in over 90 locations throughout central North Carolina. Recognized as a 2012 Success Story Award winner for patient satisfaction by Press Ganey Associates, Inc., Cornerstone is transitioning from the traditional "fee-for-service" model to a patient-centered medical home system providing expanded access, increased coordination of care, enhanced patient education for prevention and treatment of chronic disease, and sophisticated technological support. For more information, visit www.cornerstonehealth.com.
All Cigna products and services are provided exclusively by or through operating subsidiaries of Cigna Corporation. The Cigna name, logos, and other Cigna marks are owned by Cigna Intellectual Property, Inc. This information is available for free in other languages. Please call our Customer Service number at 1-800-668-3813 (TTY 711), 7 days a week, 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. The benefit information provided is a brief summary, not a complete description of benefits. For more information, contact the plan. Limitations, copayments, and restrictions may apply. Benefits, formulary, pharmacy network, provider network, premium and/or copayments/coinsurance may change on January 1 of each year. Cigna-HealthSpring is contracted with Medicare for PDP plans, HMO and PPO plans in select states, and with select State Medicaid programs. Enrollment in Cigna-HealthSpring depends on contract renewal.
Other articles in News Releases:
- Cigna Corporation's Second Quarter 2020 Earnings Release Details
- Cigna + Oscar Helps Small Business Owners who Recognize that a Healthy Workforce is the Key to a Vibrant Business in COVID-19 Environment
- Priority Health and Cigna Form Strategic Alliance to Make Quality Health Care More Affordable and Accessible for Michigan Employers and Customers
- Cigna Donates $75,000 to the City of Memphis to Fund COVID-19 Testing for Underserved Communities
- Cigna, Huntsville Hospital Health System Reach Agreement to Provide Value-Based Care to Medicare Advantage Customers in Northern Alabama
- Cigna Foundation Announces Availability Of $5 Million In Grants To Address Children's Mental Health, Childhood Hunger