Cigna Introduces Cigna Collaborative Care
- Broader focus includes small physician groups, specialists, and hospitals
- Builds on success of Collaborative Accountable Care arrangements
- Uses incentives to engage health care professionals
- Goal is to help drive better quality, cost, and satisfaction
BLOOMFIELD, Conn., April 02, 2014 - Cigna has developed a new suite of value-based initiatives called Cigna Collaborative Care that builds on the company's successful Collaborative Accountable Care (CAC) arrangements with large physician groups and integrated delivery systems. Cigna Collaborative Care expands value-based initiatives to include small physician groups, specialist groups, and hospitals, in addition to large physician groups.
"The best way to achieve sustainable change in the health care system is to reach all stakeholders through personalized connections," said Chief Medical Officer Alan M. Muney, M.D. "Cigna Collaborative Care enables us to engage health care professionals and customers in ways that are meaningful to them, which will help drive better health, affordability, and experience."
Cigna Collaborative Care is the company's approach to accomplishing the same population health goals as accountable care organizations, or ACOs. It is based on rewarding health care professionals for value rather than volume, and benefits customers and employers by promoting higher quality of care and lower total medical costs. Cigna's existing arrangements with large physician groups have shown great success, including:
- 3% better than market quality performance, on average1
- 3% better than market total medical cost, on average2
- 50% fewer unnecessary emergency room visits3
- 19% to 25% better compliance with diabetes measures4
- 21% more gaps in care closed5
While most industry efforts with accountable care organizations have focused on large physician groups, Cigna's research indicates that only 20 percent of customers with high-cost conditions or complex needs receive care from these groups.6 In order to transform care delivery in a meaningful manner, the industry must meet individuals where they seek care.
To that end, Cigna has expanded Cigna Collaborative Care to include health care professionals wherever they are in the health care delivery system. In addition to large physician practices, the incentive-based Cigna Collaborative Care includes:
- Small physician groups including small private practices and unorganized physician groups. These arrangements represent an opportunity to help the 40 percent of Cigna customers with high-cost conditions and complex needs that are treated by small physician groups.7 Cigna has established arrangements on a pilot basis with small physician groups in select markets.
- Hospital arrangements designed to promote quality, efficiency and safety for customers seeking hospital care. Research indicates that 25 percent of customers with high-cost conditions or complex needs are treated at a hospital each year.8 To date, Cigna has established arrangements with more than 150 hospitals, and continued development is planned for 2014.
- Specialist groups focusing on the five specialties that account for 57 percent of medical spending - orthopedics, obstetrics-gynecology, cardiology, gastroenterology and oncology.9 Cigna launched orthopedic and maternity-focused arrangements in 2013, with continued development in 2014.
Cigna's experience with large physician groups has been growing since 2008. There are currently 86 initiatives in 27 states, and Cigna is on track to reach its goal of 100 in 2014. The clinical collaboration, consultative guidance, patient-specific actionable information, and performance reporting that Cigna brings to these collaborations with large physician groups are critical to their success as enhancements to the high quality of care they provide.
Cigna Corporation (NYSE: CI) is a global health service company dedicated to helping people improve their health, well-being and sense of security. All products and services are provided exclusively by or through operating subsidiaries of Cigna Corporation, including Connecticut General Life Insurance Company, Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company, Life Insurance Company of North America and Cigna Life Insurance Company of New York. Such products and services include an integrated suite of health services, such as medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy, vision, supplemental benefits, and other related products including group life, accident and disability insurance. Cigna maintains sales capability in 30 countries and jurisdictions, and has approximately 80 million customer relationships throughout the world. To learn more about Cigna® including links to follow us on Facebook or Twitter, visit www.cigna.com.
1 Cigna Collaborative Accountable Care, Large PCP Group Results, 2013
2 Cigna Collaborative Accountable Care, Large PCP Group annual results for 2012 versus market average (2013)
3 Cigna Collaborative Accountable Care, Large PCP Group annual results for 2012 versus market average (2013)
4 Cigna Collaborative Accountable Care, Large PCP Group Results, 2013
5 Cigna Collaborative Accountable Care, Large PCP Group annual results for 2012 versus market average (2013)
6 Statistics based on Cigna internal analysis of book of business high-cost customers (>$4,700/year) as of January 2014
7 Statistics based on Cigna internal analysis of book of business high-cost customers (>$4,700/year) as of January 2014.
8 Statistics based on Cigna internal analysis of book of business high-cost customers (>$4,700/year) as of January 2014
9 Statistics based on Cigna internal analysis of book of business high-cost customers (>$4,700/year) as of January 2014
Other articles in News Releases:
- Cigna Collaborates with Annum Health to Introduce a Digital Health Solution to Help People Reduce Alcohol Consumption
- Cigna Helps Customers Affected by California Wildfires, Cigna Foundation Donates $25,000 to the American Red Cross for Recovery
- Cigna Names Jim Hickey as Market President for South Texas Commercial Health Plans
- Cigna Furthers Commitment to Promote Mental Well-Being by Collaborating With Happify Health and Prevail Health to Offer New Digital Tools
- New Cigna Pregnancy App Enables Improved Health and Lower Costs For Pregnant Women
- Cigna Reports Strong Third Quarter 2018 Results, Raises Outlook