Cigna Names Mary Picerno Chief Nursing Officer
BLOOMFIELD, Conn., April 28, 2014 - Cigna (NYSE: CI) has named Mary Picerno as its new chief nursing officer. Picerno will lead more than 2,000 Cigna nurses and other health professionals, such as health educators, case managers and behavioral coaches, who help Cigna customers, including those with acute or chronic conditions, reach their optimal health potential. She will serve as a company spokesperson and thought leader on health and wellness topics, as well as an advocate for Cigna's nurses and allied health care professionals to key stakeholders.
Picerno will also direct Cigna's proactive, personalized and integrated health support and coaching services in order to drive optimal effectiveness of care and value for customers and clients.
"Mary brings to Cigna the powerful combination of organizational leadership skill and clinical nursing experience," said Alan M. Muney, M.D., Cigna's chief medical officer. "She also shares our commitment and passion to drive better health, affordability, and experience by engaging customers and health care professionals in ways that are meaningful to them."
"Making a difference in the lives of people who need help has been the driving force behind my entire career, and Cigna is doing great work every day to help customers get healthy and stay healthy," said Picerno. "I am thrilled to join such a dynamic and ambitious organization, with such a clear and focused mission."
Prior to joining Cigna, Picerno was staff vice president for WellPoint. A registered nurse, she has more than 30 years of professional experience in both corporate and clinical settings. Picerno holds degrees in nursing and business from Maria College in Albany, N.Y.
Picerno assumes her new role on April 28. She takes over from Susan Gaca, who retired as chief nursing officer earlier this month after 16 years with Cigna.
Cigna Corporation (NYSE: CI) is a global health service company dedicated to helping people improve their health, well-being and sense of security. All products and services are provided exclusively by or through operating subsidiaries of Cigna Corporation, including Connecticut General Life Insurance Company, Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company, Life Insurance Company of North America and Cigna Life Insurance Company of New York. Such products and services include an integrated suite of health services, such as medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy, vision, supplemental benefits, and other related products including group life, accident and disability insurance. Cigna maintains sales capability in 30 countries and jurisdictions, and has approximately 80 million customer relationships throughout the world. To learn more about Cigna® including links to follow us on Facebook or Twitter, visit www.cigna.com.
Other articles in News Releases:
- Cigna + Oscar Helps Small Business Owners who Recognize that a Healthy Workforce is the Key to a Vibrant Business in COVID-19 Environment
- Priority Health and Cigna Form Strategic Alliance to Make Quality Health Care More Affordable and Accessible for Michigan Employers and Customers
- Cigna Donates $75,000 to the City of Memphis to Fund COVID-19 Testing for Underserved Communities
- Cigna, Huntsville Hospital Health System Reach Agreement to Provide Value-Based Care to Medicare Advantage Customers in Northern Alabama
- Cigna Foundation Announces Availability Of $5 Million In Grants To Address Children's Mental Health, Childhood Hunger
- Cigna Expands and Extends Its COVID-19 Relief Efforts for Medicare Advantage and Individual and Family Plans