Cigna Becomes First U.S. Health Insurer to Sign UN Global Compact; Announces Key Milestones in Second Annual CR Report
- Cigna commits to Compact's 10 principles on human rights, labor, environment, corruption
- Report presents impact of 2014 Environmental, Social, Governance activities
- Progressing toward 2017 environmental targets
- New grant program focuses on improving health equity
BLOOMFIELD, Conn., September 24, 2015 - With the release today of its 2014 Cigna Connects Corporate Responsibility (CR) Report, global health service leader Cigna (NYSE:CI) announced it recently became a signatory of the United Nations (UN) Global Compact - committing to the Compact's 10 principles on human rights, labor, environment and anti-corruption. Cigna is the first U.S. health insurance company to join the Compact: https://www.unglobalcompact.org/what-is-gc/participants/9908
In supporting the UN Global Compact, Cigna is carrying on the proud tradition started by its Belgium-based business that serves international organizations (previously known as Vanbreda International), which had been a signatory of the UN Global Compact since 2006. The UN Global Compact was founded in 2000 by former UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan.
"Cigna is committed to serving as a catalyst for positive change in our communities around the world," said Cigna President and CEO David M. Cordani. "The principles of the UN Global Compact, along with the corporate responsibility policies and priorities we've detailed in our latest Corporate Responsibility report, embody this commitment."
Cigna's annual CR Report, available online at www.cigna.com/corporateresponsibility, offers an up-close look at the company's ESG policies and priorities. The report describes Cigna's strategically aligned approach to corporate responsibility, called Cigna Connects, and shares facts, figures and stories that demonstrate how Cigna works to create shared value for Cigna and society by applying its unique resources. The report communicates Cigna's leadership in creating a more sustainable health care system and demonstrates how Cigna's non-financial performance aligns with its mission, supports its core businesses, and creates benefits for stakeholders.
"Cigna's mission is to help improve the health, well-being and sense of security of those we serve. Earning their trust, and the trust of others we partner with, is essential to our ability to live up to this mission. We embrace and integrate responsible business practices and corporate citizenship into our work each and every day, all around the world," Cordani said.
The report highlights the company's 2014 ESG accomplishments, including:
- Making progress in meeting 2017 environmental targets by monitoring emissions performance and making capital investments to support emission reductions targets;
- Launching a new Cigna Foundation World of Difference grant program focused on innovative projects creating health equity;
- Training 2,138 Cigna staff trained in Cultural Competency program;
- Ensuring 100 percent of new and existing employees trained in Cigna's Code of Ethics and affirmed their adherence to the Code;
- Being named to 2015 Best Corporate Citizens List by Corporate Responsibility magazine;
- Scoring 100 percent on the Corporate Equality Index from the Human Rights Campaign for the third consecutive year in a row.
These actions and more are described in the CR Snapshot page of Cigna's 2014 CR report.
Cigna's CR report was prepared in accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) G4 Sustainability Reporting Guidelines. The GRI is the most widely used framework for voluntary, non-financial reporting.
Please connect with Cigna to share thoughts or questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cigna Corporation (NYSE: CI) is a global health service company dedicated to helping people improve their health, well-being and sense of security. All products and services are provided exclusively by or through operating subsidiaries of Cigna Corporation, including Connecticut General Life Insurance Company, Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company, Life Insurance Company of North America and Cigna Life Insurance Company of New York. Such products and services include an integrated suite of health services, such as medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy, vision, supplemental benefits, and other related products including group life, accident and disability insurance. Cigna maintains sales capability in 30 countries and jurisdictions, and has more than 89 million customer relationships throughout the world. To learn more about Cigna®, including links to follow us on Facebook or Twitter, visit www.cigna.com.
Other articles in News Releases:
- Cigna Foundation Supports Social Connectivity through $150,000 Grant to FiftyForward
- Cigna Collaboration Helps Santa Clara County IPA (SCCIPA) Improve Quality and Lower Costs
- Cigna Corporation Announces Appearance at the Goldman Sachs 40th Annual Global Healthcare Conference
- Cigna Named to CR Magazine 100 Best Corporate Citizens for Fifth Consecutive Year
- Cigna Commits $140,000 to Methodist and Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital Foundations to Expand Community Health and Well-being Services
- Cigna Corporation to Host Investor Day on May 31, 2019