Cigna Ranked First in athenahealth's 2016 PayerView Report
Mark Slitt, 860.226.2092
Reflecting its sustained focus on improving the health care provider experience, Cigna (NYSE: CI) earned the top spot in athenahealth’s 2016 PayerView® Report™. The annual report provides insight into the payer-provider relationship and helps Cigna understand where its efforts are succeeding and where further improvement may be needed.
Cigna was ranked first among all 214 payers that athenahealth assessed, and it was the only national payer to be ranked in the top 10. Cigna scored well in the three measures that carry the most weight in the overall score and matter the most to health care providers:
- Days in Accounts Receivable, which measures the average length of time it takes for a provider to receive payment for services (weighted 20 percent)
- First Pass Resolve Rate, which is the percentage of claims that are successfully resolved on the initial submission (weighted 15 percent)
- Denial Rate, which is the percentage of claims requiring back-end rework (weighted 15%)
“We’re thrilled with the number one ranking because it demonstrates that the steps we’ve taken over the past several years to improve the health care provider experience are succeeding,” said Julie Vayer, vice president, Total Health & Network Operations. “Nevertheless, we recognize that our work is not finished. We remained focused on continuous improvement through collaboration with athenahealth and other organizations so that we can earn the trust of health care providers every day.”
“Over the past several years we have made significant investments in technology and in our people so that we can meet the expectations of health care providers, clients and customers, all of whom expect fast and accurate claims processing,” said Brett Browchuk, senior vice president for Service Operations. “Beyond that, we have also concentrated on embedding the right business logic into our systems to minimize administrative issues for customers and providers. That frees up customers to concentrate on improving their health while enabling providers to focus on delivering quality care.”
The 2016 PayerView Report results were calculated using 2015 paid claims data from 75,000 providers practicing in 50 states, representing more than 202 million charge lines and $40.2 billion in charges.
Cigna Corporation (NYSE: CI) is a global health service company dedicated to helping people improve their health, well-being and sense of security. All products and services are provided exclusively by or through operating subsidiaries of Cigna Corporation, including Connecticut General Life Insurance Company, Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company, Life Insurance Company of North America and Cigna Life Insurance Company of New York. Such products and services include an integrated suite of health services, such as medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy, vision, supplemental benefits, and other related products including group life, accident and disability insurance. Cigna maintains sales capability in 30 countries and jurisdictions, and has more than 90 million customer relationships throughout the world. To learn more about Cigna®, including links to follow us on Facebook or Twitter, visit www.cigna.com.
About athenahealth, Inc.
athenahealth is a leading provider of network-enabled services for electronic health records (EHR), revenue cycle management and medical billing, patient engagement, care coordination, and population health management, as well as Epocrates and other point-of-care mobile apps. athenahealth connects care and drives meaningful, measurable results for more than 78,000 health care providers nationwide. For more information, please visit www.athenahealth.com.
Other articles in News Releases:
- Cigna and Express Scripts Named Best Places to Work for Disability Inclusion
- Cigna Returns as Presenting Sponsor of the Marine Corps Marathon, Continuing a Tradition of Honoring Members of the U.S. Armed Forces
- Cigna Corporation’s Second Quarter 2019 Earnings Release Details
- GNS Healthcare Raises $23 Million Led by Cigna Ventures
- Cigna Demonstrates Commitment to Health of People, Communities and Environment
- Cigna's U.S. Loneliness Index Provides Actionable Insights for Improving Body and Mind Health